Jeff Beck Has Died

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by fireflydances » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm

Startling and quite upsetting news just coming in.

Rolling Stone

Independent

Bacterial meningitis recently contracted. I am so very sad to learn of this. :-/
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Jackslady

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by Jackslady » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm

Yes this is indeed very sad and sudden. Am so sorry.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

myfave

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by myfave » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:21 pm

"Hello South Carolina" ...............*swoon*

SnoopyDances

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:54 am

Sad news; still in shock.

Thanks for the People article. :hatsoff:

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:32 am

I've literally woke up to this news and I'm sitting here totally shocked and so upset, I can't imagine how his friends and family are feeling right now. Johnny must be devastated. Lovely tributes being paid by all the great musicians, he really was a trailblazer with his style of playing. My condolences to his friends and family. :sad:
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:46 am

Jeff Beck: British guitar legend dies aged 78

BBC News
Article by Mark Savage
12th Jan 2023

Jeff Beck, one of the most influential rock guitarists of all time, has died at the age of 78.

The British musician rose to fame as part of the Yardbirds, where he replaced Eric Clapton, before forming the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart.

His tone, presence and, above all, volume redefined guitar music in the 1960s, and influenced movements like heavy metal, jazz-rock and even punk.

Beck's death was confirmed on his official Twitter page.

"On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck's passing," the statement said.

"After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday. His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss."

Speaking when he was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the second time in 2009, Beck - said: "I play the way I do because it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible."

"That's the point now, isn't it? I don't care about the rules.

"In fact, if I don't break the rules at least 10 times in every song, then I'm not doing my job properly."

'Six-stringed warrior'

Responding to news of his death, singer Sir Rod Stewart called Beck "the greatest".

Posting a picture of the pair together on Instagram, he wrote: "Jeff Beck was on another planet. He took me and Ronnie Wood to the USA in the late 60s in his band the Jeff Beck Group and we haven't looked back since.

"He was one of the few guitarists that when playing live would actually listen to me sing and respond. Jeff, you were the greatest, my man. Thank you for everything. RIP."

US rock band Hollywood Vampires, comprising Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper, Joe Perry and Tommy Henriksen, also saluted "the passing of our dear friend and guitar legend".

"Jeff's incredible musicianship and passion for guitar has been an inspiration to us all," the band wrote. "He was a true innovator and his legacy will live on through his music. Rest in peace, Jeff."

Rock singer and guitarist Eric Clapton simply tweeted: "'Always and ever'…….. ec".

Elsewhere, Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page paid tribute to Beck as "the six-stringed warrior" and praised his "apparently limitless" musical imagination which could "channel music from the ethereal".

In another rock tribute, Rolling Stones frontman Sir Mick Jagger shared a video of the pair playing together, saying music had lost "one of the greatest guitar players in the world" and "we will all miss him so much".

Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne said it had been "such an honour" to know and play with Beck, adding: "I can't express how saddened I am..."

And Queen guitarist Sir Brian May said he was lost for words, but called Beck "the absolute pinnacle of guitar playing" and a "damn fine human being".

Members of Kiss, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, also expressed their shock.

Simmons called the news "heartbreaking", while Stanley said he had "blazed a trail impossible to follow. Play on now and forever".

Singer Paul Young added in a Twitter post: "He was loved by everyone in the know; the guitarists' guitarist!"

Born Geoffrey Arnold Beck in Wallington, Surrey, the musician fell in love with Rock and Roll as a child, and built his first guitar as a teenager.

"The guy next door said, 'I'll build you a solid body guitar for five pounds'," he later told Rock Cellar Magazine. "Five pounds, which to me was 500 back then [so] I went ahead and did it [myself].

"The first one I built was in 1956, because Elvis was out, and everything that you heard about pop music was guitar. And then I got fascinated. I'm sure the same goes for lots of people."

After a short stint at Wimbledon Art College, he left to play with shock-rocker Screaming Lord Sutch and the Tridents.

When Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds in 1965, Jimmy Page suggested hiring Beck - and he went on to play on hits like I'm A Man and Shapes Of Things, where his pioneering use of feedback influenced musicians like Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendrix.

"That [technique] came as an accident," he later told BBC Radio 2's Johnnie Walker.

"We played larger venues, around about '64-'65, and the PA was inadequate. So we cranked up the level and then found out that feedback would happen.

"I started using it because it was controllable - you could play tunes with it. I did this once at Staines Town Hall with the Yardbirds and afterwards, this guy says, 'You know that funny noise that wasn't supposed to be there? I'd keep that in if I were you.'

"So I said, 'It was deliberate mate. Go away'."

Going instrumental

The guitarist stayed with the Yardbirds for nearly two years, before declaring he was quitting music altogether and releasing his first solo single Hi Ho Silver Lining.

However, he quickly returned with the Jeff Beck Group, whose first two albums Truth (1968) and Beck-Ola (1969), took a ferocious approach to the blues that laid the groundwork for heavy metal.

But the band were unhappy - with a US tour regularly descending into arguments and physical fights.

Singer Rod Stewart and bassist Ronnie Wood quit in 1970 to join the Small Faces (later The Faces), and when Beck was injured in a car accident, he had to put his career on hold.

When he recovered, Beck assembled a second line-up of his band but their albums were commercially unsuccessful and Beck went solo in 1975.

That year, he recorded an album, Blow By Blow, with Beatles producer George Martin. Entirely instrumental, Beck's lyrical, mellifluous guitar playing essentially replaced the parts of a lead vocalist, an approach he would take for most of the rest of his career.

Blow By Blow made the US top 10 and was awarded a platinum disc, and Beck quickly followed it up with 1976's Wired (also produced by George Martin) and the 1997 concert album Jeff Beck With The Jan Hammer Group Live.

After the tour documented on the album, the musician retired to his estate outside of London and remained quiet for three years.

"The pitch I play at is so intense that I just can't do it every night," he later explained.

The 1980s saw him collaborate with Nile Rodgers on an album called Flash, which contained his first hit single - a cover of Curtis Mayfield's People Get Ready with Rod Stewart on lead vocals - and earned him a Grammy Award.

In 1987, he played on Mick Jagger's solo album Primitive Cool, and continued to work with artists like Roger Waters and Jon Bon Jovi in the 1990s, as well as contributing to Hans Zimmer's score for the Tom Cruise movie Days Of Thunder.

But his solo output slowed down, until the release of 1999's You Had It Coming, featuring Imogen Heap on vocals, followed in 2003 by an album he simply called Jeff.

Around this time, he started incorporating more electronic and hip-hop elements to his music; culminating in his fourth Grammy victory for the tempestuous, shape-shifting instrumental Plan B.

He toured extensively in the 2010s, including a joint-headline venture with Beach Boy Brian Wilson.

The duo had hoped to record together but those plans fell apart. Instead, Beck ended up befriending actor Johnny Depp, with whom he released a full-length album, 18, in 2022.

But the musician's legacy lies in the balance between the fluidity and aggression of his playing, his technical brilliance equalled only by his love of ear-crunching dissonance.

"It's like he's saying, 'I'm Jeff Beck. I'm right here. And you can't ignore me'," wrote Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers in an essay for Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitar Players of All Time, where Beck placed seventh.

"Even in the Yardbirds, he had a tone that was melodic but in-your-face - bright, urgent and edgy, but sweet at the same time. You could tell he was a serious player, and he was going for it. He was not holding back."

"He'd just keep getting better and better," Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page once recalled. "And he leaves us, mere mortals".

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:47 am

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:51 am

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:17 am

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:21 am

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:34 am

This seems like yesterday.

Endora

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by Endora » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:45 am

What a shock. Hi Ho Silver Lining was one of the most loved floor fillers at discos when I was at college.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:48 am

Jeff Beck, one of the greatest guitarists of all time, dies at 78

Telegraph Reporters
January 12th 2023

Jeff Beck, one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, has died at the age of 78. 

The Grammy-winning musician rose to prominence with The Yardbirds, and went on to front the Jeff Beck Group and Beck, Bogert & Appice.

Beck died "peacefully" on Tuesday after contracting bacterial meningitis, his family said. 

Beck ranked in the top five of Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarists and was often described as a "guitarist's guitarist".

A statement posted on the musician's Twitter page read: "On behalf of his family, it is with deep and profound sadness that we share the news of Jeff Beck's passing.

"After suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis, he peacefully passed away yesterday.

"His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss."

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page paid tribute to Beck as "the six-stringed warrior" and praised his "apparently limitless" musical imagination.

A chance meeting between Page and Beck led the latter to join The Yardbirds in 1965 - replacing the band's former guitarist, Eric Clapton.

"The six stringed Warrior is no longer here for us to admire the spell he could weave around our mortal emotions," Page wrote online.

"Jeff could channel music from the ethereal. His technique unique. His imaginations apparently limitless.

"Jeff I will miss you along with your millions of fans. Jeff Beck Rest in Peace."

Kiss bassist Gene Simmons said Beck's death was “heartbreaking news … no one played guitar like Jeff. Please get ahold of the first two Jeff Beck Group albums and behold greatness. RIP.”

Rolling Stones legend Mick Jagger remembered his friend as a "wonderful man" and one of the world's greatest guitarists while Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi wrote on Twitter that he was “totally shocked”.

Iommi added: “Jeff was such a nice person and an outstanding iconic, genius guitar player - there will never be another Jeff Beck. His playing was very special & distinctively brilliant! He will be missed."

US rock group ZZ Top said its members felt "privileged" to have shared multiple stages with Beck over the course of his lengthy career.

"We mourn the loss of Jeff Beck, a brilliant musician and friend," the band's official account tweeted.

"Our tours with Jeff were delights from both personal and sonic perspectives.

"We're thankful that we were privileged to share so many stages with him over the years and will truly miss his artistry and personality."

Beck was born Geoffrey Arnold Beck in Wallington, England to parents Arnold and Ethel Beck and developed a passion for music as a child.

He made headlines last year when he announced a collaborative album with Johnny Depp shortly after the Hollywood actor's defamation battle with ex-wife Amber Heard drew to a close.

The pair first met in 2016 and began recording the album in 2019 while Depp was also playing with Alice Cooper's supergroup Hollywood Vampires.

Beck was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice - first as a member of The Yardbirds in 1992 and later as a solo artist in 2009.

During the course of his career, he won a total of eight Grammy awards.

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:49 am

Endora wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:45 am
What a shock. Hi Ho Silver Lining was one of the most loved floor fillers at discos when I was at college.
I remember that, I still love that song.

In-too-Depp

Jeff Beck Has Died

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:52 am