Spring 2020: Reading suggestions?

Waiting for the Barbarians by ‎J.M. Coetzee

Moderators: Liz, fireflydances

Neverland'sWendy

Unread post by Neverland'sWendy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi,

Since it's been awhile, any books on recent films Johnny has in production? Or other reading/listening suggestions? :ONBC: :noodlemantra:

~Neverland'sWendy~ :goodvibes:
"...You're out of your tree." --- Joon
"It's not my tree." --- Sam

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:02 pm

I would be open to suggestions, too. Things related to Minamata might be interesting. Not sure there is enough interest in an ONBC discussion, however.

Recently I have been reading Anne Perry mysteries. Next on my list is A Clash of Kings, the second book in the Game of Thrones series. I was obsessed with the first book so I am eager to see what the second one is like. (I have not seen the television series)

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Yes, I have suggestions.

Johnny, himself, owns the copyright to the Minimata book written by Eugene Smith which includes his photos. This one is currently out of most people's price range -- with an occasional used book running in the high $40+ and really good copies over $100.

A nice alternative might be the biography of Eugene Smith written by Jim Hughes, W. Eugene Smith: Shadow and Substance - The Life and Work of an American Photographer Published in 1989 it has only good reviews, but limited circulation. You can buy a used copy for $13+ Given we are unable to see the film ourselves, the book offers us another way to learn more about Mr. Smith.

Another book that I am very certain Johnny has read is Sapiens - A Brief History of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari. This one is a best seller and has wonderful reviews. Also available in an audio format. Why do I believe that he read this? I recall seeing a photo of him holding same.

More suggestions, each requiring a more adventurous reader:

Doug Stanhope Digging Up Mother - A Love Story, with forward by Johnny Depp. Published 2016. I have it -- acerbic and witty, definitely a straight up shot of whiskey. But funny.

Chuck Palahniuk, American writer. Journalist, fiction. Most well known for his book Fight Club. He describes his work as "transgressive fiction." I remember either reading an article about Depp where he mentions Palahniuk or hearing him talk about the writer.

Nick Tosches, who was a fabulous writer of many genres. Johnny considered him a good friend and had hoped to do a film of Tosches' book In The Hand of Dante. I've read a lot of Tosches' music-related writing (where he got his start). I highly recommend giving Tosches a try.

And anything by Hunter Thompson, also a very good friend of Johnny's. I have been reading Thompson's book The Proud Highway, which draws from decades of his correspondence. And of course, The Rum Diary and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Can't go wrong with Thompson.

Hope this is helpful. Nothing like a book to make the time go by. And yes, do wish we could find more books with links to Johnny. Sure they are out there -- the guy inhales books.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread post by Joni » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Long-time Zoners will recall that the ONBC had book discussions for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (2005) and The Rum Diary (2010).

I think The Proud Highway is a good suggestion, fireflydances. I read it years ago and really enjoyed it.
nebraska wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:02 pm
Not sure there is enough interest in an ONBC discussion, however.
It does seem that way nebraska. :-/

Neverland'sWendy

Unread post by Neverland'sWendy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be sure to look them all up. :zoner:

I know that I have been terrible about logging in, most often technical issues/life, but I'm glad this place this exists after all these years. (I was a lurker for about 2 years before I even registered).

How many need to make a bookclub event/meeting?

I would like to imagine that Johnny would join us. ;) :ONBC:

~Neverland'sWendy~ :goodvibes:
"...You're out of your tree." --- Joon
"It's not my tree." --- Sam

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:05 am

There is a tremendous amount of positive energy that exists around the sharing of thoughts on books, and positive thinking is something we all need right now, in abundance. It is one thing to read and enjoy a book in silence. It is another thing altogether to step forward and share one's thoughts on a book. It is not that different from sharing a meal or a conversation over a beer. So I would highly recommend that ONBC continue to be a place where readers, and those interested in books, feel free to come and write their own thoughts about a particular book that Johnny liked, or something in any book that they feel would interest others.

Does Johnny talk about books he loves with others? I would imagine he does. He is a communicator at his very core. We know he writes a lot -- perhaps he records his thoughts on books he's read. If we think of ONBC as that place which honors Johnny as a reader, it makes sense that those who love to read should feel free to write about books they love here, now, when having a cozy reader home is absolutely essential.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

RamblinRebel

Unread post by RamblinRebel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:00 am

Hi guys. :bigwave: Long time, no chat. So.... I was thinking, now that Johnny's on social media, maybe we should ask him what he's been reading lately? Just a thought... maybe if a few people ask, he'll throw out a couple titles in his next video post. Who knows? Can't hurt, right?

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:45 pm

Yes, it's worth trying but given the number of people talking to him simultaneously (there are roughly 3.6 million following him), it might be challenging.

Years ago I wrote Patti Smith about JD's reading preferences and got back a list, and several of the books we've read were on this list. I moved in early March and literally everything remains in a state of chaos because of COVID-19, working from home, not being able to unpack stuff because we need to buy storage and....enough of that! So the letter is there, lovingly saved. Not possible to pull out of the mass of boxes unfortunately.

So I will offer the total list when I can. I believe it is dated 2010 or 2011. Signed by Patti.

In the interim I noticed today that Stephen Deuters has been asked his 6 favorite books, and yes he's a friend and maybe if he's reading it our JD has read it. Once again, painfully challenging to get confirmation online about this stuff. I have written him before about JD's reading. Sigh. I note that another person, along with Stephen, asked about their reading preferences is @johnnydeppreads -- our original host, predates me.

So what is Mr. Deuters reading? His favorite all time 6 books are: 6 Books: La Bas - Huysmans, Germinal - Zola, Heart of Darkness - Conrad, Crime & Punishment - Dostoevsky, The Alexandria Quartet - Durrell, My Struggle (1-6) - Knausgaard.

This is all grist for the mill guys. I wish it was not impossible to get annual reading lists from our JD.

RamblinRebel

Unread post by RamblinRebel » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:00 am

Yeah, every time I look he has another million followers. Oh well, so much for that very naive idea. :lol:

Ug, What a rough time to move, fireflydances. I imagine it's kind-of like living in a home turned inside-out, within a world turned up-side down. I don't envy you.

Very interesting list from Mr. Deuters. Some seriously hefty titles there!

I read Tosches' In The Hand of Dante several years back. It was incredible, not an easy read, but well worth the time & effort. As I recall it was one of those that you just have to stick with for a while, but is ultimately mind-blowing. Not recommended for the easily offended.

I'll probably check out Doug Stanhope's book. Could really use a good laugh!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:31 pm

Glad I could offer something. I have messaged several people close to JD in hopes that the messages won't be lost in the wind. I know they are aware that fans are interested in what he reads. Perhaps he worries about personally recommending stuff? Though that don't sound like him. If I ever hear anything back from whoever (besides Patti) y'all can be sure I will let you know. I am a persistent little devil.