Johnny Depp to Direct Modigliani Biopic

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:12 am

Johnny Depp to Direct First Movie in 25 Years; Al Pacino Co-Producing ‘Modigliani’ Biopic About Italian Artist (Exclusive)
Hollywood Reporter

Johnny Depp has lined up his first film directing gig in 25 years, The Hollywood Reporter can reveal.

A quarter of a century after he directed both himself and Marlon Brando in 1997’s The Brave, his feature directorial debut, Depp is set to get behind the camera for Modigliani, about Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani, and will co-produce alongside Al Pacino and Barry Navidi.

Based on the play by Dennis McIntyre and adapted for the screen by Jerzy and Mary Kromolowski, the film will tell the story of the painter and sculptor in Paris in 1916. Long considered by himself a critical and commercial failure, Modigliani navigates a turbulent and eventful 48 hours that will become a turning point in his life, ultimately solidifying his reputation as an artistic legend. THR understands that production is set to start in Europe in the spring of 2023, with casting to be revealed shortly.

“The saga of Mr. Modigliani’s life is one that I’m incredibly honored, and truly humbled, to bring to the screen,” said Depp, who produces for IN.2, the European arm of his production company Infinitum Nihil. “It was a life of great hardship, but eventual triumph — a universally human story all viewers can identify with.”

Modigliani marks another European project for Depp as he dusts himself off from his recent and bruising defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard. He’s also playing King Louis XV in French director Maïwenn’s historical love story Jeanne du Barry, which started shooting in late July and is Depp’s first feature in three years.

The film also marks the next collaboration between Pacino and Navidi, who have previously worked together on features including The Merchant of Venice (2004), Wilde Salomé (2011) and Salomé (2013). Both produce alongside IN.2 and Depp.

“This project has been very close to Al’s heart. Al introduced me to the play Modigliani many years ago and I instantly fell in love with it,” said Navidi. “This is a slice of Modi’s life and not a bio. It’s been a dream of mine to work with Johnny again — he’s a true artist with an amazing vision to bring this great story to the screen.”

Although he’s best known for his onscreen roles, Depp has produced 10 films, including 2011’s Hugo and, most recently, 2020’s Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds With Shane MacGowan.

Newt

Unread post by Newt » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 am

Absolutely amazing. Al has wanted to make this film for a while too ! And Johnny FINALLY returns to directing !

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 am

:thanks!: Snoopydances ,
wow that is so awesome :applause2: . I'm really happy, because I still love his performance and direction in The Brave . More than 10 years ago I read a biography about Modigliani.
My son drew a picture of Modigliani for my birthday. :flashingheart:

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am

I am so happy for Johnny, he's following his own muse along with friends in the industry and doing what he loves. I'm sure this is just the start with his European partners with the production company. Thanks Snoopy for the heads up.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 pm

I got curious, of course, and went looking for the original play written by Dan McIntyre. It first ran Off Broadway in 1978 to generally good reviews, then ran again in 2002 again Off Broadway. I am assuming that the two quotes below are from the 2004 version.

"A wild, funny and moodily provocative play...raffish and richly atmospheric." - New York Daily News

"One of the most enthralling dramas in years...wonderfully exciting in the varied richness of its texture." - New York Post

Here are two reviews, both from the NY Times:

I tried to find some information about the playwright. I see articles in about playwrighting but nothing about other plays. Pehat ihaps I need to go deeper. Google often tosses general stuff and you have to dig further to find something relevant. After reading these reviews I am very intrigued. Johnny seems to have come out of his long alienation prepared to hit as many bells as he can. I would agree with that. I can't imagine the frustration of being sidelined for six years.
Last edited by fireflydances on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

myfave

Unread post by myfave » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:11 pm

Excellent!!!
"Hello South Carolina" ...............*swoon*

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Fabulous news.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Excellent thread from IFOD on the relationships between Johnny, Al, and Barry Navidi, going back 18 years.

Jackslady

Unread post by Jackslady » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:10 pm

This really is fantastic, I am so happy for him. He and Al formed a good friendship and I’m sure he’ll be so excited about this project on a number of levels.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:26 pm

Lest we not forget:

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed May 10, 2023 1:27 pm

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed May 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Deadline

Johnny Depp Sets Cast For His Modigliani Biopic With Riccardo Scamarcio, Pierre Niney & Al Pacino Starring; The Veterans Launches Sales For Cannes Market Ahead Of Fall Shoot

EXCLUSIVE: On the eve of his acting return at the Cannes Film Festival, Johnny Depp has set a buzzy first round of cast for Modi, his first directorial effort in 25 years.

The biopic of Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani will be led by Italian star Riccardo Scamarcio (John Wick Chapter 2), Cesar Award winner Pierre Niney (Yves Saint Laurent) and screen icon Al Pacino (The Godfather).

Filming is due to get underway in Budapest this fall and the hot package is being sold at the Cannes market by The Veterans. Additional casting is underway.

Based on a play by Dennis McIntyre and adapted for the screen by Jerzy and Mary Kromolowski, the film will tell the story of the famous painter and sculptor Modigliani during his time in Paris in 1916.

The movie will chronicle the life of the Italian artist across a turbulent and eventful 48 hours which sees him on the run from police through the streets and bars of war-torn Paris. His desire to prematurely end his career and leave the city is dismissed by fellow bohemians: French artist Maurice Utrillo, the Belarusian-born Chaim Soutine and his English muse and lover, Beatrice Hastings. Modi seeks advice from his Polish art dealer and friend Leopold Zborowski, but the chaos reaches a crescendo when he’s faced with a collector who could change his life.

Italian star Scamarcio, known for roles in movies including The Best of Youth, Paolo Sorrentino’s Loro, John Wick: Chapter 2, Nanni Moretti’s Tre Piani and Romanzo Criminale, will play the title role.

Acclaimed French actor Niney, known for movies such as Yves Saint Laurent and Frantz, has been cast as Utrillo, with Pacino set to appear as international art collector Gangnat.

The film marks Navidi’s fourth collaboration with Pacino whom he worked with on The Merchant Of Venice (2004), Wilde Salomé (2011), and Salomé (2013). Depp and Pacino also starred opposite each other in the 1997 crime flick Donnie Brasco.

“This is a snapshot of Modigliani’s life that gives us insight into his struggle as an artist suffering from lack of recognition, and a project Al and I have pursued for many years,” said Navidi. “Our incredible cast, coupled with the vision, wit and sensitivity I know Johnny will bring behind the camera, will make this a dream come true.”

Nicola Pecorini (The Legend of Don Quixote) has joined as director of photography, Andrew Sanders and John Beard will lead production design and Penny Rose (Pirates of the Caribbean) will handle costuming. Sharon Howard-Field (Merchant of Venice) will oversee casting.

Navidi and IN.2 (Jeanne du Barry) will produce alongside Depp. Local production in Budapest will be handled by Proton Cinema.

Modigliani will be Depp’s second feature directorial turn after 1997’s The Brave, in which he also starred alongside Marlon Brando. He also directed several music videos for his ex-wife Vanessa Paradis.

Depp’s anticipated acting comeback film Jeanne du Barry will open the Cannes Film Festival next week. He will play King Louis XV in French director Maïwenn’s historical love story, marking his first movie in three years.

The actor last year won a turbulent defamation trial against his ex-wife Amber Heard. Two years ago he lost a libel case against UK tabloid The Sun which led the actor to claim he was being blacklisted by Hollywood after he was dropped from Warner Bros’ Fantastic Beasts franchise.

Depp is repped by Jack Whigham at Range Media Partners.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Wed May 10, 2023 2:02 pm

Thanks Snoopy, I see you beat me to it! :lol: Looking forward to lots of tidbits nearer to the time the filming starts.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed May 10, 2023 3:25 pm

In-too-Depp wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:02 pm
Thanks Snoopy, I see you beat me to it! :lol: Looking forward to lots of tidbits nearer to the time the filming starts.
This explains why he was in Budapest recently!