Johnny Depp Launches NFT Collection

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:35 am

Jackslady wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:35 pm
I have never heard of NFT’s, just wanted to comment that I think his art is stunning, they are so characterful and stylish. I’d love to see them in a gallery and just be able to study them.
:agreesign: Jackslady .

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:26 pm

Kind of disappointed that Johnny decided to go the NFT route especially because his plan is to organize a small community of fans. Nothing I have read about NFT makes me want to actually give a website my personal information, never mind actually money. Is his world really that completely different so that he didn't know that NFTs don't have a good reputation right now? News has been full of this.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:16 pm

fireflydances wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:26 pm
Kind of disappointed that Johnny decided to go the NFT route especially because his plan is to organize a small community of fans. Nothing I have read about NFT makes me want to actually give a website my personal information, never mind actually money. Is his world really that completely different so that he didn't know that NFTs don't have a good reputation right now? News has been full of this.
I hear you but we must remember this is a business adventure and maybe it's a way to make up for the money he isn't getting anymore in Hollywood. From what I read you don't have to buy a Non Transferrable Fund (NTF) but if you do it will enter you into a raffle where he is giving away 1,111 paintings and you get access to other perks and channels. The price for one NTF has not been officially announced. So, for argument's sake, if one NTF is $1,000 and 1,000 people buy just one that's $100,000 he is making before the 25% he is giving to the charities. I imagine a whole lot more than 1,000 people will be buying one and those with money to spend will buy a lot more. I think it's great he is giving some to charity but is also could be tax write off for him. People on SM say he is posting in the chats from time to time but I really don't believe it is him posting. He testified that Gina does all his IG postings because he has no idea how to post them. I believe it is his words, just not him doing the postings. After he releases the 1,111 he will be selling to the public but I think will be over periods of time. I tried to join Discord but it's really difficult getting in and even those who are tech savy are having trouble navigating around the site.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:25 pm

It worries me that someone who can't make an Instagram post himself is getting involved in a high dollar digital/crypto-currency venture. I hope he is surrounded by people who genuinely have his interests at heart. Sometimes he trusts too much.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Yep, I agree with that. ^
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:16 pm
So, for argument's sake, if one NTF is $1,000 and 1,000 people buy just one that's $100,000 he is making before the 25% he is giving to the charities.
Sorry...I did a typo. JD would have made $1,000,000, minus the 25% for charities and that would just to be for the raffle and the other perks. The other 10,000 paintings he will release to the public would be paid in NTF's also. I agree about him taking a risk on this but this is all new to me and I know last week the crypto currency crashed but the next day it was right back up. Seems to me like it works along the lines of the stock market, somehow. :perplexed:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:00 am

Johnny has had his entire world - personal, professional, and financial - ripped out from beneath him. He saw some of it coming but it was far too late. He has suffered beyond anything we can imagine for his misplaced trust.

But Johnny is an extraordinarily intelligent, talented and resilient man. Most significantly, he is hardly a novice where the cryptocurrency world is concerned. His specific interest and investment in cryptocurrency-centric social entertainment platforms (think TaTaTu) go at least back to October of 2018. I don’t believe his familiarity with Instagram or Twitter is a concern or a bellwether of his future success.

If Johnny could count on a level playing field going forward, I would hope he might hold out for more increasingly lucrative acting projects. But he cannot. He HAS been blacklisted in the U.S. When a film of Minamata’s caliber is very nearly choked out of existence, not to mention the incomparably lucrative U.S. viewing market, one would be a fool to not look beyond cinema for a livelihood. Risky? Indeed, but if anyone has made a career of embracing risk it is Johnny Depp. IMHO, the man is an amazing artist. His portraits are unique, intimate captures of each of his subjects.

FYI: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... t-1153901/
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:01 am

ForeverYoung wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:16 pm
People on SM say he is posting in the chats from time to time but I really don't believe it is him posting. He testified that Gina does all his IG postings because he has no idea how to post them. I believe it is his words, just not him doing the postings. After he releases the 1,111 he will be selling to the public but I think will be over periods of time. I tried to join Discord but it's really difficult getting in and even those who are tech savy are having trouble navigating around the site.
So I am in the discord but yeah it is definitely difficult to follow.
I would also say that he is not posting himself but it is his words probably, and someone will inform him in a short overview of what is happening on all the boards there, I guess...

I am totally new to NFT and crypto as well and not sure if I would really buy anything in the end as it is nothing I am really into and there are some negative things connected... but still decided to follow the first steps of the tutorial and set up a wallet (empty, you do not have to buy any ETH to enter the raffle) and connected it to be part of the raffle, that is everything that is necessary if I understand it correctly. If you win you would be informed I guess and then you would have to buy the ETH and purchase the NFT offered to you but you can definitely opt out than so I will just wait what happens.
The price of the NFTs is not known yet, I read something about guesses that it might be between 0.08 and 0.2 ETH which would be (or at least would have been yesterday when I checked, difficult to say when the markets are that volatile) 185 to 450 EUR so yeah let's see what it will be in the end...
Moreover I got a different impression on how it will work, I thought that 10,000 paintings will go through the raffle, they will do the raffle for 3 times maximum and if then still some are left these will go to public sale. The remaining 1,111 painting would be the ones that he will first hold him self and give (where give probably means transfer the NFT he initally holds himself) to people close to him, "special" fans, charities and so on...

But if I misunderstood and anybody knows it better than please let me know!! ;)

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:16 pm

What exactly do you win if you win in the raffle? perplexed3:

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:36 pm

As I understood, the opportunity to then buy the NFT because they expect the demand to be higher than the amount of NFTs (10,000)?! But as I said totally new to everything and could be completely wrong!

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:10 pm

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:38 pm

This sounds like it's going to be expensive, imo but I am sure people that the money to do this will have a good time and I wish them well. I'm still trying to get on Discord. It seems very congested getting in and once I'm in I don't have a clue where to navigate. People say the chats are chaotic but fun.

SdubLU

Unread post by SdubLU » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:40 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:38 pm
This sounds like it's going to be expensive, imo but I am sure people that the money to do this will have a good time and I wish them well. I'm still trying to get on Discord. It seems very congested getting in and once I'm in I don't have a clue where to navigate. People say the chats are chaotic but fun.
It definitely is expensive, the mint price will be 0.6 ETH, last time I checked this was about 1600 EUR and there will be gas fees on top of it... so... yeah...
Definitely too expensive for me, but nice for those people who have the money and want to do it...
Four NFT holders, namely those who manage to mint NFT number 1, 11, 111 or 1111 will have a very special opportunity:
"From a photograph of the holder, a member of their family or a good friend; Johnny will create an artwork in the same style as his ‘Friends and Heroes’ art" ...

Something interesting I read on discord was something about Johnny's "planned gateway art show in London this year"... but I saw no more details yet...

Moreove I'm really curious if after minting the really interesting stuff on discord will be completely for NFT holders only, but I am afraid this will be the case...

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:08 pm

JD is "live" on Discord right now answering submitted questions. That is, he is filming answers to questions and they are posting the videos every few minutes. He is not live in a chat. I am sure these posts will be all over the internet so don't be upset if you missed them. So far it's only his voice on the video with a black screen. Don't know why we can't see him.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:37 pm

JD answering some questions on Discord. He is supposed to answer some more tonight. It was only audio.