Interview - Johnny on MINAMATA, CNN (from The Sunday Times)

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread post by Theresa » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:11 am

Johnny Depp says Hollywood is boycotting him

Lisa France byline
By Lisa Respers France, CNN
Updated 9:55 AM ET, Mon August 16, 2021

(CNN)According to Johnny Depp, the past five years have been "surreal" for him.

In his first published interview since losing a libel suit against against the publisher of Britain's The Sun newspaper, the actor talked to The Sunday Times about his new movie "Minamata."

Depp, who also served as one of the producers of the film, portrays real-life photographer W. Eugene Smith, whose work with Life magazine documented the mercury poisoning of Japanese villagers in the early 1970s.

The star reflected on his life recently -- he filed suit after The Sun called him a "wife-beater" in an article over his now ex-wife Amber Heard's claims of abuse that he has denied -- juxtaposed to both the Japanese villagers who had been poisoned and those who have suffered from Covid-19.

"That's like getting scratched by a kitten," Depp said of what he's been through. "Comparatively."

He also reflected on the film not being released in the US as it has in the UK, something he and director Andrew Levitas appear to blame, in part, on Depp's personal life.

He said of the villagers portrayed in his film "We looked these people in the eyeballs and promised we would not be exploitative."
"That the film would be respectful," Depp said. "I believe that we've kept our end of the bargain, but those who came in later should also maintain theirs."

He also referred to "Hollywood's boycott of, erm, me."

"One man, one actor in an unpleasant and messy situation, over the last number of years?" he said "But, you know, I'm moving towards where I need to go to make all that . . .To bring things to light."

Heard and Depp married in 2015 after dating for several years.

They split the following year in what became a months-long, contentious breakup with allegations of bad behavior by both sides before their divorce was finally settled.

Depp has consistently denied he abused Heard and has filed a $50 million defamation suit against her which is currently making its way through the courts.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:32 am

Thank you Theresa. :heartflower:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Powerful! and spoken like pure Johnny Depp, which is why it is so meaningful. I am excited to see him say he is not finished making films. I am much more interested in what Johnny said than what the biased writer had to say about him.
Last edited by nebraska on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Well, that's a really acid interview. I suppose the writer took the pulse of media and decided to lean in favor of Hollywood. Every writer who sits down to interview someone makes a choice. Either they choose to see the interviewee through a pre-established lens, in part because that makes the story easier to write, or they go in utterly open, prepared to learn. Which is the harder route, because you often have to make your way through a landmine of pre-existing opinions and downright sensationalism, and come up with your own truth about a person, and then stand by that with your words.

One of the things that really rubbed me the wrong way is the idea that I am blinkered --- a blinded, suckered up fan who can't tell that the actor in question has committed heinous acts because I don't want to believe it. Again, an easy path to travel along. Couldn't possibly be that these people, these fans actually gathered any deep truth about a man because of their years of experience watching his choices and listening to his words? We stick here because when we read gutter copy about what's wrong with Johnny, it didn't and doesn't connect with what we know.

I was hoping for more. I was hoping for a decent, informative interview that didn't prop itself up with sniggling references to "mumbling, croaking drawls" and less lucidity. It is always easy to make a man look stupid.

What is the point of that? The author goes on to say "The film is good. MGM bought the film because it is good. Depp is good too. He disappears into the role, far from his more recent pantomime parts. It’s being released worldwide, just not in the actor’s homeland." So, the point of the tear down is what? Shame? I do believe our society depends a good deal more these days on the power of shame to pull a person down.

Were it my decision, I would put a big line through the copy of this interview and throw it away.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Thanks Theresa, Johnny had already mentioned that he still receives projects, I'm glad he's not lost his love of film making and I'm sure we'll see more from him in the future.

I have to agree with fireflydances though, why must they belittle him while writing these pieces, this is the reason he's not a fan of being interviewed. You can understand why. For the record we're not mindless puppets but people who recognise his talent, enjoy his creations and know what a loving human being he is.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

Jack's Wench

Unread post by Jack's Wench » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you Theresa :daisyforyou

Did I miss something? Is Johnny living full time in London now?
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Jack's Wench wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

It's probably his French home. Doesn't sound like the interviewer was interested in any details other than the Sun court case.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:07 pm

The Sunday Times is NGN owned. (It is in the same building as The Sun.)
Even if a NGN journalist wanted to write a JD positive article, I doubt the editors or management would accept it.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 pm

RumLover wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:07 pm
The Sunday Times is NGN owned. (It is in the same building as The Sun.)
Even if a NGN journalist wanted to write a JD positive article, I doubt the editors or management would accept it.

I didn't know that, thank you.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 am

I think that interviewer went as far as he could given who he works for. We got some really good quotes out and a bit of subtly from the writer. (1)The Times film review was one of the few which wasn't positive about the film (unsurprisingly) - but this guy admits the film is good and JD is good (2) the quote about the mathematics of the media - beautiful to appear in a Murdoch owned paper (3) but best of all - I think it gives a sense of direction he'll go in. JD never liked the Hollywood machine even when he was its darling. Think about three of his last films - City of Lies, Waiting for the Barbarians, Minamata. Not designed to be blockbusters - he delivered beautiful performances in each. Although I would like to see Jack Sparrow dust off his compass one last time, and I am devastated still about Fantastic Beasts - it would seem much more natural that the last part of his career is spent performing in and producing those kind of movies (whilst Dior continues to devastate us with the promos).

Jack's Wench

Unread post by Jack's Wench » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:56 pm

SnoopyDances wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:08 pm
Jack's Wench wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

It's probably his French home. Doesn't sound like the interviewer was interested in any details other than the Sun court case.
Ah OK. Thank you Snoopy :-)
Dreams really do come true!
Just Believe....... 26th April 2007

"We're having too good a time today, we ain't thinking about tomorrow"