WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS Updates, Reviews and Discussion

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Okay, one more for the night. This is a short but extremely insightful review of the movie which compares it to David Lean's beautiful films of the late 1960s such as Lawrence of Arabia. If you are a certain age you will remember that film. Frankly I can still hear and see it. The article also mentions that Marc's portrayal of the Magistrate is reminiscent Alec Guinness.

Yes, keep talking, keep it up and we will have this one in indie theaters across the States.

Link to Cineuropa's review:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm

:thankyou: FF!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Here's an interview with Mark Rylance that I really like. Johnny is mentioned at the end of the article. I have to say I miss the chance of getting to listen to him talk deeply about a role, the sort of thing that happens when a film opens in the US or even London. Frustrating. I think he has a lot more to say about Col Joll and JM Coetzee's examination of the empire.

Interview by New Europe:

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Fireflydances - maybe this will help - apologies if it has already been put here. They all speak very interestingly about their parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js38SXJGffc

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 pm

WFTB is scheduled to be screened at the BFI London Film Festival October 6, 7, & 9. Apparently, Johnny wasn’t there for today’s screening although I was under the impression he was expected to make an appearance. Just wishful thinking I guess . . .

Nice review:

"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Two decent reviews found over at Stephen Deuters Twitter account. Both are worth reading. Martyn Conterio at Cine-Vue, and then Electric Shadows gives the film a 4-star rating!

Yes! People who know the book and who are discerning critics. Nice stuff. Thank you Stephen Deuters!!

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Has anyone seen any possible cinema release for this movie? At least a DVD release date? I have seen less and less when I search.

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:20 pm

nebraska wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:58 pm
Has anyone seen any possible cinema release for this movie? At least a DVD release date? I have seen less and less when I search.
I have been searching again for information about the release of this film. According to Robert Pattinson's website Waiting for the Barbarians was scheduled to be shown at the Cartagena Colombian Film Festival held March 11-16. But I have not found any further information. I haven't even seen if it was cancelled due to covid 19.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Wed May 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Samuel Goldwyn Lands ‘Waiting for the Barbarians’ Drama Starring Mark Rylance, Robert Pattinson & Johnny Depp

Article by Amanda N'Duka
Deadline.com
May 20th 2020

EXCLUSIVE: Samuel Goldwyn Films has acquired North American rights to the Ciro Guerra-directed feature, Waiting for the Barbarians, which stars Oscar winner Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies), Oscar nominee Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean franchise), newly minted Batman Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse), Gana Bayarsaikhan (Ex Machina), and Greta Scacchi (The Girl in the Fog). Originally slated for a theatrical release, the pic will now be available on digital platforms this August.

The drama is based on the novel by Nobel Prize-winning author J.M. Coetzee, who also adapted the screenplay. It follows a Magistrate (Rylance) of an isolated frontier settlement on the border of an unnamed empire who looks forward to an easy retirement until the arrival of Colonel Joll (Depp), whose task it is to report on the activities of the ‘barbarians’ and on the security situation on the border. Joll conducts a series of ruthless interrogations, which leads the Magistrate to question his loyalty to the empire.

Michael Fitzgerald, Olga Segura, Andrea Iervolino of Iervolino Entertainment, and Monika Bacardi produced the pic with executive producers Sir Martin Franklin, Cristina Gallego, Danielle Maloni, Deborah Dobson Bach, and Penelope Glass.

“It has been a great honour to work with this wonderful cast and passionate crew in bringing J.M. Coet- zee’s masterpiece to the screen,” said Guerra. “It is a timeless story that speaks volumes to our world today, and we’re very happy and excited to be finally bringing it to audiences in the US through this partnership with Samuel Goldwyn Films.”

“Waiting for the Barbarians is filled with powerful and moving performances from Mark, Johnny, Robert, and Gana. The cinematography is beautiful and director Ciro Guerra creates a world that forces us to look deeper into ourselves and ask, “What would I do?”. Samuel Goldwyn Films is proud to bring this film to audiences,” commented Peter Goldwyn.

Meg Longo and Ben Feingold brokered the rights deal on behalf of Samuel Goldwyn Films with Julie Sultan of AMBI Media Group repping the filmmakers.
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm

Such good news! :applause: The virus has disrupted theatre releases and the whole industry is in a quandary . A digital release might be the best we can hope for under current conditions. I am just glad it isn't being buried.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm

This is amazing news.

And I think we have to get out of the old mindset about Digital platforms. The major awards are having to accept digital without theatrical releases - and honestly digital is the saviour of independent films. The investor who has teamed up with Johnny's production company (someone help me here - Andrea Irevelino is his name?) - has made a fortune on digital platforms.

I predict in future films like Fantastic Beasts, Pirates are the ones we'll see first in cinema with Johnny in - but everything else will be digital. And I am here for it! You can watch it multiple times and it will get to a much wider audience - people are more likely to try something if it comes with their service rather than having to fork out a small fortune to go to the movies.

You still get the set piece premieres at the film festivals, and you can still build excitement - look how well it worked for The King with LilyRose in it.

Great news.

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Wed May 20, 2020 2:06 pm

:thankyou: for the article! Happy it's getting a US release!

Would love to see this in a theater, though; the sound, the grandeur of the giant screen, etc. A lot of people prefer to stream with digital, though, therefore an upside could be a larger audience.

Can't wait to see it! Next, bring on City of Lies!

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Thu May 21, 2020 7:10 am

Happy :applause2:

Snowcat

Unread post by Snowcat » Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 am

Excellent news, Thank you In-too-Depp!
He said, "Wow, Very Nice!", and signed my painting. TIFF 2015.

In-too-Depp

Unread post by In-too-Depp » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:24 am

Some new pics.

And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man