THE PROFESSOR (Richard Says Goodbye) Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 pm

justintime wrote:I’ve noticed there are now some rumblings about a proper theatrical release in n the US and UK for City of Lies
Really? Where did you read that
:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Sweeney Todd wrote:
justintime wrote:I’ve noticed there are now some rumblings about a proper theatrical release in n the US and UK for City of Lies
Really? Where did you read that
Rumblings, SweeneyTodd, rumblings. I came upon a comment from someone in the industry (non-JD “fan”) that was actually positive toward the film and expressed a hope it would receive a wide release in the two countries - the US and England - where, I imagine, the subject matter could reasonably be expected to fare well. It was picked up by IFOD and some other pro-JD twitter sites. Sentiments like these seemed non-existent for The Professor so I thought it was worth mentioning:

Sean Bradley
@SeanB102

'#CityOfLies': Johnny Depp and @ForestWhitaker are great in this biographical drama about the investigation into the murder of Biggie Smalls. Cinematography was good. Structure was pretty solid. Let's hope for general release in England and the US. 7/10

@CityofLiesMovie
9:13 PM · Jul 9, 2019 · Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/SeanB102/status/1148762247147204608
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm

The Professor was sold out at my local Redbox today, so there is interest :-). I wish that both The Professor and City of Lies would get released to theaters but, if I had to choose, my opinion is that The Professor is a better movie. Johnny was able to display a wider range of emotions and activities in The Professor, the humor helped, and I especially enjoyed his scenes with his best friend, Peter. The students were great, especially the dour, sarcastic girl.

I liked both films but each could have benefited from development of other characters to make the stories more interesting. I get the sense those were cut for run time, leaving us with scene after scene of Johnny or, in the case of City of Lies, Johnny and Forest Whitaker.

One rumor as to why City of Lies hasn't been released in US theaters to date is topical given yesterday's LA Times article about possible gangs existing within the LA Sheriff's Dept. The Guardian reported on it last year: .
This could generate interest and a theater audience for City of Lies, but the version I viewed seemed to have many interesting parts cut: Poole's relationship with his family (allowing him to show a wider range of emotions and more energy), development of the characters and the background story. One good thing I found while watching: Those stories that JD was drunk while filming are clearly not true per his performance.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 am

Just ordered the Professor from Amazon in the UK. Will get it around the seventh. But I didn't come over here to tell you that, but to ask: have you seen the great - and one sour - reviews the movie has got here? :bounce: :applause2: :applause: :applause2: :bounce:

Pamela

Unread post by Pamela » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 am

The Professor will air Wednesday, March 4th on TMC, The Movie Channel, 8:00 p.m.

ibbi 3

Unread post by ibbi 3 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 pm

It's now on Netflix!
Joel:"That's the movies, Ed. Try reality." Ed:"No thanks." Northern Exposure

kmsin_1

Unread post by kmsin_1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Just watched The Professor yesterday. Enjoyed it very much. It wasn't what I was expecting since the subject was a serious, heavy matter. There was good humour at all the right places and I loved his best friend. The movie felt a bit short but I guess that it what happens when you are enjoying it.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:48 am

kmsin_1 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:34 pm
Just watched The Professor yesterday. Enjoyed it very much. It wasn't what I was expecting since the subject was a serious, heavy matter. There was good humour at all the right places and I loved his best friend. The movie felt a bit short but I guess that it what happens when you are enjoying it.
:welcome:

So glad you enjoyed the movie. :popcorn:

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:35 am

kmsin_1 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:34 pm
I also liked the Professor! I wasn't crazy about the ending but it just occurred to me that it might have been a metaphor for what was actually going on.

kmsin_1

Unread post by kmsin_1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:28 pm

:girlwave: @ snoopydances.

@nebraska, I was a bit conflicted by the ending. We would assume that a dying person would want to spend as much time left with their loved ones in this case his daughter but yes, there is also the part where you want your dying loved one to do the things on their bucket list .....to die happier if that is even possible.

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:46 pm

That would be a cool metaphor, but I think that was the real ending. He was still not at death's door and didn't want his daughter to see him at the worst. And it was important for Richard to get the Dean (who was having an affair with Richard's wife) to grant him a sabbatical so that he could continue to receive his full salary until the end, for revenge and for the daughter.

He loved the dog and would have made sure Jibbles was returned to the family.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 am

I assume that the third film will never get made now - I always assumed it would be Richard meeting Katie (from Katie Says Goodbye - a truly wonderful movie). I had lots of scenarios in my head - Katie having left her small town, meeting Richard whilst serving him in a diner as he was on the road, or working in a a hospital - whatever the meeting, the simple, pure, kind innocence of Katie giving Richard the chance to die happy and in peace. It would have been so lovely.

kmsin_1

Unread post by kmsin_1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:24 am

I tend to jump into movies without researching or reading up on the background to a movie - watching blind if you must. Hence, was not aware that there could have been a 3rd movie. Haven't even seen Katie Says Goodbye.

A bit OT here but I was having a Johnny fest last 2 weeks. After watching WFTB, I continued with The Professor and Sunday night, sat through London Fields. I couldn't decide if she was worse in Danish Girl or this movie - I think the director was aiming for a film noir like Blue Velvet and ended up with an embarrassingly pretentious wannabe movie. Anyway, I could see the potential in that story (which didn't translate well into a movie partly due to the lousy leading actress) and hence, will be reading the book. Johnny was the best thing in that movie - he stole every single scene he was in. Very Elton John like. :smiliewithhearts:

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am

I watched London Fields as well recently, being interested in Johnny's bit in the movie. I imagine that story was a really good book but it sure didn't translate well into movie format. And yes, "she" was pretty awful.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 am

I know we shouldn't be discussing LF here (sorry) but I've also watched it with some girlfriends - she was unbelievably awful and trying so hard. A reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes said that when Johnny was in the same scene as her, he so outacted her that this particular reviewer generously gave the marriage 18 months. I'd love to see JD in a Guy Richie movie since he can do London accents so well.

Ok I am going to make this relevant to The Professor again so I don't get into trouble ..... um

Recently came across an interview with the actress who played the daughter's lesbian partner who said even having a small part in a movie with Johnny in was an incredible experience.