The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:58 pm

#JusticeForJohnnyDepp is getting mega attention on SM. Both on twitter and TikTok. This article says 3 million views but last I heard it was up to 8 million.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna25430
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:26 pm

For anyone interested, this lawyer does a live stream and some other lawyers join him as well at times. I know this is a serious issue but they do add humor to the testimonies, which makes it more easy for me to watch. This one is not impressed with defense counsel so far.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RekietaLaw/videos
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Inquiring Minds
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:43 pm

Foreveryoung wrote:
#JusticeForJohnnyDepp is getting mega attention on SM. Both on twitter and TikTok. This article says 3 million views but last I heard it was up to 8 million.
You read that wrong. The article says 3 billion views, not million!!

Inquiring Minds
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:46 am

As Foreveryoung's post has pointed out, with 3 billion views, the interest is staggering. I've seen 9 and 10 hour streams getting 300K views!!

The MSM has been pretty down on Johnny as expected. The Guardian has slipped from almost neutral the first few days to tarring him (they're saving the feathers for later no doubt).

The Murdoch press has covered the makeup not being released until 2017. I just saw a 60 minutes story that aired last night and it was very biased. It featured a lot of Nick Wallis and some of Chris Melcher. They could have cut the interviews lots of ways, but Nick came across as quite negative re Depp. Chris wasn't great either, but I suspect he didn't give them too much they could cut around or misrepresent. They would have made them both appear anti-Depp after editing, but I did feel Nick is no longer neutral or pro-Depp. A shame, but this seems to support what others have been saying. In fairness too, there were kids screaming in the background, people bustling around and it was difficult to watch the segment uninterrupted.

When MSM is making a half-hearted attempt to show some balance, its clear they don't understand the case in the slightest. They concentrate on things like how far supporters have traveled, ask them how long they've been fans, call them "super-fans" but never discuss elements of the case. The press keep trying to say he would have been better to just let it ride. Aside from the excrement reference, Amber is being presented as the heroic victim. It makes me sick.

I saw one article that called in "experts" to try to explain this bizarre support base. They called it a deep-seated undercurrent of misogyny in society. Or he was better known, so he has more support (innocence or guilt is irrelevant). Men resent women having equality and are retaliating by supporting Depp. Or fan peer pressure gathers support, then all the cool kids, like sheep, start supporting Depp blindly because they want to belong. Its a conservative backlash to woke cancel culture. Theories abounded. The single issue never raised was that he may be an innocent man, defamed and vilified maliciously for another's pride and profit and people have a desire to see justice served. They also seem to ignore the large number of female DV victims that support him. That would be too much for these so-called experts to reconcile.

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:54 am

Scout wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:12 pm
So Yaya answered my question about Nick Wallis. On a lighter note - is everyone appreciating the irony that one of AH's lawyers is named Rottenborn. Every time I think about it I actually laugh. I hope the name comes up as a character in a future movie.
I think Johnny is repeating his name for that very reason

User avatar
Lbock
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:02 am

It was Christina Taft handing out the flyers. She got caught passing flyers inside the courthouse and videotaping people and posting on Twitter. The secret filming is what got her booted. So I guess she was stuck here from Los Angeles and used her flyers on cars etc. On her Twitter she posts copies of emails she sent to Kaplan, Elaine, and Eve Barlow. SHe’s engaged with Taft Basically telling her to stop what she’s doing and they have Amber’s security covered. Not sure how that is related. Eve was booted first. Taft posted a lot of email screenshots. Many twitter removed
Her twitter @taftbiz but she has many others







Granna
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Granna » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:18 am

MSM will not admit they were wrong. The ties with Murdock, in particular, will see to that. His hate for JD, will keep many at bay, in fear of retaliation. It will be interesting to see how MSM spin a positive "victim" scenario for her to maintain relevancy in the headlines. Those audios, have made me ill. She is a nasty piece of work. The SA that she has claimed against him just goes to show, it was her. After sitting and listening, I now truly believe EVERYTHING SHE CLAIMS that he did to her, she did to him. Can you imagine the fake crocodile tears abd drama we will see with her on the stand? After being a victim for 20 years, getting ready to celebrate 19 years as a survivor, it's amazing how little everyone knows about DV. Have they not noticed the DV against our elderly and children, both categories include males? This woman has kicked the DV progress back to the stone age. Who will come forward now and will be believed? Those who do come forward will now will be placed under a microscope with a new question. Is the victim "pulling an Amber Heard?"

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:10 am

justintime wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:28 pm
I keep going back and forth between frustration and utter dismay at what is happening to JD during this trial. So many extremely relevant - even damning - facts and info seem to have been left on the courtroom floor with no hope of retrieval.

Below, Andrea Burkhart goes back to Thursday and a particularly inappropriate question (requiring an interpretation of the law; should have elicited an immediate objection from Johnny’s team) put to Johnny by Rottenborn and why it is so important that it now, at the very least, be emphasized and explained at summation, apparently the only option left.

Really worth the read!



I can guarantee that Johnny's team has a strategy. The only people who know their strategy are his team of lawyers. It might appear that they are leaving questions unanswered, but that is because we can only guess where they are going with their strategy. Even the best analysts can only guess at where they are doing. This is like a game of Poker. Johnny's team is not going to reveal their hand until the right moment. Johnny has a very good (and high priced) team of lawyers with a lot of experience. I am not saying that they have never or will never make a mistake. I think people need to be patient and wait until all of the testimony is in and we see the big picture.

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:19 pm

Granna wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:18 am
MSM will not admit they were wrong. The ties with Murdock, in particular, will see to that. His hate for JD, will keep many at bay, in fear of retaliation. It will be interesting to see how MSM spin a positive "victim" scenario for her to maintain relevancy in the headlines. Those audios, have made me ill. She is a nasty piece of work. The SA that she has claimed against him just goes to show, it was her. After sitting and listening, I now truly believe EVERYTHING SHE CLAIMS that he did to her, she did to him. Can you imagine the fake crocodile tears abd drama we will see with her on the stand? After being a victim for 20 years, getting ready to celebrate 19 years as a survivor, it's amazing how little everyone knows about DV. Have they not noticed the DV against our elderly and children, both categories include males? This woman has kicked the DV progress back to the stone age. Who will come forward now and will be believed? Those who do come forward will now will be placed under a microscope with a new question. Is the victim "pulling an Amber Heard?"
Sorry you had to go through DV. But, I am glad that you got out of the situation and that you are a survivor.

AH is pure evil. I do think that some of the media is starting to recognize that.

I'm sure that when AH takes the stand, she will put on her most dramatic performance. Too bad she can't act. :harhar:

User avatar
ForeverYoung
Posts: 1985
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:32 pm

Does anyone know if Elon Musk, now that he owns twitter, will mean Alan Waldman can post again?
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

hollyberry
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:01 am
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by hollyberry » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:31 pm

Inquiring Minds wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:43 pm
Foreveryoung wrote:
#JusticeForJohnnyDepp is getting mega attention on SM. Both on twitter and TikTok. This article says 3 million views but last I heard it was up to 8 million.
You read that wrong. The article says 3 billion views, not million!!
Yes, I haven't been watching the trial, largely because I have mental health issues myself, and I hate seeing Johnny being put through the ringer, but I'm pleased to see how many people are backing him; I was on tumblr recently, discussing a totally different subject, and was delighted to see dozens of messages of support for Johnny.

Amber Heard is a sociopathic spousal abuser, and I'm both shocked and distrubed that she now has a child...believe it or not, I wish it was Johnny's so he could sue for custody, I'm worried about that baby's future.

justintime
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:39 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:22 pm

Interesting discussion. Just happened on it - needed to hear people expressing positive things about Johnny:

"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Inquiring Minds
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:41 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:13 am

I have been watching Monday’s session, plus recaps, commentaries etc. Overall, I think JD did really well on re-direct and recovered any ground he may have lost on cross.

I watched Nick Wallis’s latest video and think I may have been too quick to judge, and am possibly guilty of the same cancel culture I so oppose. 60 minutes had a very biased slant and I think they ambushed him with questions presuming a Depp loss and Australia consequently prosecuting him. By the time he had unwittingly answered, they had the clip they needed.

Prior to my previous post, I had found on the Fairfax site that Nick had applied for the early release, end-of-day transcripts way back on the 18th, but it didn’t look like it had been resolved. His latest video indicated daily transcripts were out for this trial, so I’m guessing it was denied. A shame, I find them quicker to get through than the whole, minute by minute raw video. Hopefully they will eventually by archived somewhere.

Anyway, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I’ve been liking his take on court related things and the supporters (eg bench interviews). He’s promised to keep his reporting neutral, so I will keep looking in for now at least. I even flicked $10 in for a newsletter subscription. There are a couple of other sites I plan on giving a small tip to – I’ve been getting far better coverage online than from the MSM, and I’d rather youtubers than Netflix.

Changing topic, I’ve read some discussion about Johnny not having a scar on his cheek after she stubbed the cigarette out on his face. As a smoker for about 50 years, I have burned myself and (accidently) others many, many times, without any lasting damage. Nothing a mega-pint of Amica cream couldn’t fix anyway 😉 Until about 5 years ago I used to tread on a butt and grind it out in bare feet. If the hot “cherry” is bumped off onto flesh or clothing, I slap it out with my hand. Even a moderate burn will clear up and if not, I’ve had larger skin cancers frozen off my face and the skin around grows back with absolutely no scars or blemishes. And if anyone tried to stub a cigarette out on my face, the burning part would not be in contact long (like stubbing it out in an ashtray). You would shy away and brush it off fast - I doubt it would have extinguished the smoke. Burned and blackened skin may have been mostly surface, and easily fixed cosmetically anyway.

User avatar
Jackslady
Posts: 4492
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:17 pm
Location: The Captain's Cabin
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Jackslady » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:21 pm

Today they have a psychiatry expert who seems to be saying that Amber tested positive for Borderline Personality Disorder. Her description of this disorder seems to match perfectly with the behaviour Amber exhibits in the recordings of her and Johnny together. There is one I heard on YouTube where one minute Amber is yelling and berating Johnny and becoming more and more hysterical, then within seconds she switches to speaking softly and telling him to calm down, even though he is reacting quite passively and is just trying to leave the room. It is very disturbing and manipulative, I think the term would be gaslighting. Whatever the outcome (and I struggle to have any sympathy for her whatsoever) I think she needs more help for her condition as I would imagine she will go on repeating this pattern with other people, causing untold misery to them and herself.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

User avatar
Judymac
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Status: Offline

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Inquiring Minds wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:46 am
As Foreveryoung's post has pointed out, with 3 billion views, the interest is staggering. I've seen 9 and 10 hour streams getting 300K views!!

The MSM has been pretty down on Johnny as expected. The Guardian has slipped from almost neutral the first few days to tarring him (they're saving the feathers for later no doubt).

The Murdoch press has covered the makeup not being released until 2017. I just saw a 60 minutes story that aired last night and it was very biased. It featured a lot of Nick Wallis and some of Chris Melcher. They could have cut the interviews lots of ways, but Nick came across as quite negative re Depp. Chris wasn't great either, but I suspect he didn't give them too much they could cut around or misrepresent. They would have made them both appear anti-Depp after editing, but I did feel Nick is no longer neutral or pro-Depp. A shame, but this seems to support what others have been saying. In fairness too, there were kids screaming in the background, people bustling around and it was difficult to watch the segment uninterrupted.

When MSM is making a half-hearted attempt to show some balance, its clear they don't understand the case in the slightest. They concentrate on things like how far supporters have traveled, ask them how long they've been fans, call them "super-fans" but never discuss elements of the case. The press keep trying to say he would have been better to just let it ride. Aside from the excrement reference, Amber is being presented as the heroic victim. It makes me sick.

I saw one article that called in "experts" to try to explain this bizarre support base. They called it a deep-seated undercurrent of misogyny in society. Or he was better known, so he has more support (innocence or guilt is irrelevant). Men resent women having equality and are retaliating by supporting Depp. Or fan peer pressure gathers support, then all the cool kids, like sheep, start supporting Depp blindly because they want to belong. Its a conservative backlash to woke cancel culture. Theories abounded. The single issue never raised was that he may be an innocent man, defamed and vilified maliciously for another's pride and profit and people have a desire to see justice served. They also seem to ignore the large number of female DV victims that support him. That would be too much for these so-called experts to reconcile.
I think people are overthinking the effect of the news media. There is a lot of skepticism of the news media here in the US. Many people think that the media has an agenda and they frame their stories based on their agenda. The line between tabloid and MSM has been blurred. This does not just happen with Johnny Depp, It happens with politics, sports and many other areas. People get paid to write stories. Just because they write a story that is slanted to their agenda does not mean people believe them.

The jurors are the ones making the decision and they are not permitted to listen to or read about the trial.