The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
AdeleAgain

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

When I looked over five and a half THOUSAND comments overwhelming majority seemed pro JD (can't promise I read them all). Yeah Daily Mail - keep writing truthful stories about this and the people will come and your advertisers will be happy!!

I'm in shock that some of the Murdoch press have given a half slant of some facts in there.

I'm starting to wonder if the Sun haven't taken a calculated gamble that they'll pursue this because at least it will give the newspapers something to write about.

I followed Lucy Cotter's twitter feed most of the day and unsurprisingly since she's with the Murdoch owned Sky she wasn't exactly full in tweeting everything but even in her tweets you got the sense of him being thoughtful and calm in his answers.

Must be exhausting - looking at the twitter from the people who are in there, they sound spent so imagine how Johnny is feeling - hope he is being looked after and given a decent dinner and gets a good night sleep.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Also one of the Daily Mail articles wrote "All the women agreed to wear almost matching, dark colours in an attempt to create the image of a ‘team Heard’ that is 100% rooting for the former Aquaman actress." Former?

Granna

Unread post by Granna » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Team Heard, in dark colors?

Appropriate. It's Heard's funeral, after all.

Moonbeam

Unread post by Moonbeam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:27 pm

I have been on Twitter reading. I found a post that if you scroll down, has a long part of Johnny's testimony in the High Court.

Also, thank all of you contributors for keeping us up to date. :thankyou:
(So, we were correct in our discussions about a narcissistic sociopath.)
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't."-- "The truth will come out...and I will be standing on the other side of the roaring rapids. I hope other people will too." --Johnny Depp #justiceforjohnnydepp

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:50 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm
Also one of the Daily Mail articles wrote "All the women agreed to wear almost matching, dark colours in an attempt to create the image of a ‘team Heard’ that is 100% rooting for the former Aquaman actress." Former?
Anything for attention. Amber is acting like she is the defendant here. Even her PR was in one of the rooms greeting the press. The news here on tv had him arriving but no live footage of her.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Good video about the relationship and case. The one that follows was live coverage from today.

“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

I followed Lucy Cotter's twitter feed most of the day and unsurprisingly since she's with the Murdoch owned Sky she wasn't exactly full in tweeting everything but even in her tweets you got the sense of him being thoughtful and calm in his answers.
Sky News (UK) was sold to Comcast in 2018. So not currently part of News Group.
Nick Wallis @nickwallis tweets were better. @lucycottersky was reporting that Heard's lawyer (Jen Robinson) was asking questions when it was actually Sun's lawyer (Sasha Wass).

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Amber Heard has hired a PR team specifically for the trial

More Murdoch Connections
Rory Godson Rory
Rory Godson. Rory is Powerscourt's founder and CEO. He established the firm in 2004 after serving as director of corporate affairs at Goldman Sachs International and a distinguished career in journalism, culminating in his appointment as business editor of the Sunday Times.
Rory Godson: ‘You tend not to work with people who you don’t like. But you’ve got to remember that the client is right’
He was once Rupert Murdoch’s man in Dublin, but these days Rory Godson is on the other side of the fourth estate’s fence, presiding over a PR empire with a roster of blue-chip, big-name clients
CRISIS & ISSUES MANAGEMENT
Never has the need to take control of one’s own story been greater. Technology has quickened the velocity of news; and shareholders, consumers and workforces are demanding greater accountability. Our team offers a unique blend of experience and boldness that has enabled us repeatedly to help clients repel threats or take advantage of the opportunities presented by turbulent times
https://www.powerscourt-group.com/servi ... anagement/

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm

:thanks!: Thanks, everyone for keeping us updated.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 am

Thank you RumLover - that explains a lot - I wondered why Sky were carrying vaguely unbiased pieces.

Also thanks for clarifying on the lawyer - I was utterly outraged AH's barrister was able to ask anything.

Having completely embarrassed myself with ignorance on those two counts, one thing I do believe is correct is this - I've seen on twitter questions about why it appears he is only being grilled by the Sun's lawyers. So I believe this is different to a criminal case. The important thing in this type of trial is the submission of the witness statements and all the written evidence. So both sides have submitted to the judge their cases - and what's happening now is that the judge is seeing the witnesses for himself. So each side's lawyer doesn't endlessly grill their own side - that would be a waste of time - they've already submitted their script so to speak. So when AH takes the stand, it will be David Sherborne and the other barristers on JD's side who will ask most of the questions.

So character is really, really important.

That's my understanding of the process anyway.

Vampirate

Unread post by Vampirate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 am

Is there any way to actually SEE the proceedings? Is anyone in Britain broadcasting this (ala our Court TV)? Otherwise, I guess I'm left with Twitter. Thanks to you all for the updates and links! Fascinating stuff. Let Johnny prevail!

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:35 am

@NickWallis believes he'll be able to live tweet all day during the trial on July 8th (10am start time in London).

:thankyou: In-too-Depp for posting the DM article. Vanessa is referred to as a "pain in the a**e French ex albatross" ( :-| probably from the breakup days; nice she's supporting him in this awful trial). I'd like to get a transcript of the entire trial, but the cost seems to be at least $2 per page. :-O

Info about the judge for anyone interested:
Full Title: The Hon Mr Justice Nicol
Category: Ordinary Bencher
Bench Call Date: 19.10.2004
Call Date: 27.7.1978
Bio:
Education: City of London Freemen’s School 1962-1969; Selwyn College, Cambridge; Harvard Law School; Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley; BA (Cantab); LLB (Cantab) LLM (Harvard); Harkness Fellow; Entrance Bursary; Baron de Lancey Exhibitioner

Admission: 25 January 1971; Call 27 July 1978; Special Assistant Director of Housing & Community Development, State of California 1975-76; Special Assistant, Allen Allen & Hensley, solicitors, Sydney Australia 1976-77; Law Lecturer, LSE 1977-87; Practicing Barrister: 1 Dr Johnson’s Buildings 1979-90, Doughty Street Chambers 1990-; QC 1995; Recorder 2000-; Deputy High Court Judge 2003-09; High Court Judge, QBD 2009-; Presiding Judge SE Circuit 2011-14

Publications: Subjects, Citizens, Aliens and Others, 1990 (co author); Robertson and Nicol on Media Law, 5th edition, 2008 (co author); Media Law & Human Rights, 2nd edition, 2009 (co author)

Gilbert's Girl

Unread post by Gilbert's Girl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 am

Vampirate wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:25 am
Is there any way to actually SEE the proceedings? Is anyone in Britain broadcasting this (ala our Court TV)? Otherwise, I guess I'm left with Twitter. Thanks to you all for the updates and links! Fascinating stuff. Let Johnny prevail!
No court cases are not shown on tv

Vampirate

Unread post by Vampirate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 am

Thanks for the info, Gilbert's Girl.

MexiCan

Unread post by MexiCan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 am

Wow.. the part about Amber accusing him of hanging the dog out of the window of a driving car (he denies) and then her posting that clip a few weeks back on her insta captioned “ride like the wind” - with the dog hanging out of the window. Must have been to torment. She is just ..