The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
ForeverYoung

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Update: Filming of FB3 on Monday in London has been put on hold due to the coronavvirus. I think it's only a matter of time before they close the courts with the way things are going and maybe do what they can by video for the time being.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/fantastic- ... h7GiIyjcHk
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 am

In the UK case, it is not Heard's decision to settle or not. It is for Depp and News Corp to decide if they can reach an agreement.

Heard is a key witness but also a problematic witness. The Sun's lawyers aren't stupid, they must know that Heard's statements have been inconsistent and even implausible. They can't really expect her to appear in person in court, she fought appearing before and now there is a pandemic and flights cancelled. She could appear via video if she wanted to but, what can be done to force her if she doesn't want to and
she is not in the UK?

So, as I see it, Depp has truth on his side and would likely win if the case proceeds while News Corp has the threat of never saying anything good about Depp or his work ever again.
News Corp might want to cross examine Depp about his past which they would love to publish. If Kate Moss were called as a witness, News Corp would surely want to report that even if her testimony supported Depp.

I expect Depp & News Corp to reach a settlement agreement announced at the start of the hearing. If not, I expect News Corp lawyers to be more about learning Depp personal life than winning the case. If courts are suspended due to pandemic, then everything will probably be on hold.

(I acknowledge that I have been wrong before and could well be wrong again.)

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 am

RumLover for what it is worth I totally agree with your assessment.

I think we should get away from this idea AH wants to testify. No way does she want to testify. She says she does but then she says a lot of things which never transpire (going to file a police complaint etc etc).

Her play now must surely be that she will pretend the pandemic prevents her from testifying. If the case goes ahead - everyone will of course say that she could have appeared via video but she and her few remaining stans will say no - she was prevented. Giving credible explanations doesn't seem to be something that troubles these folks.

If it settles in London she will say she didn't have her day in court .... to which Mr Waldman will reply 'don't worry Amber, you can tell us all about it in Virginia'.

So I expect she is hoping that the Sun settles and she'll claim she didn't get to speak; and then hoping that the judge in Virginia rules that it can't go ahead for whatever reason.

Until there are actual court rulings which go against her, I have a feeling L'Oreal and WB will just keep quiet about her.

I must say she has the luck of the devil. She normally turns up for L'Oreal in Cannes but in normal circumstances they surely wouldn't allow her to appear now - but the festival likely be cancelled so until she is actually fired publicly she'll just carry on as normal.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:18 am

RumLover wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 am
In the UK case, it is not Heard's decision to settle or not. It is for Depp and News Corp to decide if they can reach an agreement.

Heard is a key witness but also a problematic witness. The Sun's lawyers aren't stupid, they must know that Heard's statements have been inconsistent and even implausible. They can't really expect her to appear in person in court, she fought appearing before and now there is a pandemic and flights cancelled. She could appear via video if she wanted to but, what can be done to force her if she doesn't want to and
she is not in the UK?

So, as I see it, Depp has truth on his side and would likely win if the case proceeds while News Corp has the threat of never saying anything good about Depp or his work ever again.
News Corp might want to cross examine Depp about his past which they would love to publish. If Kate Moss were called as a witness, News Corp would surely want to report that even if her testimony supported Depp.

I expect Depp & News Corp to reach a settlement agreement announced at the start of the hearing. If not, I expect News Corp lawyers to be more about learning Depp personal life than winning the case. If courts are suspended due to pandemic, then everything will probably be on hold.

(I acknowledge that I have been wrong before and could well be wrong again.)
Sorry...I was not referring to The Sun case. I think it might be getting a little confusing here which case we are talking about but I believe Johnny wants an apology from both of them. The Sun has the money to settle and she does not but in the end if it not about money for him. It is about clearing his name.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 am

Yes, but if the VA case is settled out of court with a more or less comprehensive, and probably grumpy, apology from AH, doesn't Johnny risk that she claims ever afterwards to have been coerced by his "huge wealth" and "great power in Hollywood"?
I would feel a bit safer, if a judge and jury clearly said, that Johnny is innocent according to the evidence .

As for Whitney - might Johnny, being a gentleman, want to spare her from the risk of going against her scary sister, what with Whitney being a new mum and all? Perhaps he also want to spare the child from having to grow up with a mother who either got ostracized from her family for telling the truth, or convicted of lying under oath.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:04 am

meeps wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 am
Yes, but if the VA case is settled out of court with a more or less comprehensive, and probably grumpy, apology from AH, doesn't Johnny risk that she claims ever afterwards to have been coerced by his "huge wealth" and "great power in Hollywood"?
I would feel a bit safer, if a judge and jury clearly said, that Johnny is innocent according to the evidence .

As for Whitney - might Johnny, being a gentleman, want to spare her from the risk of going against her scary sister, what with Whitney being a new mum and all? Perhaps he also want to spare the child from having to grow up with a mother who either got ostracized from her family for telling the truth, or convicted of lying under oath.
Amber can say whatever she wants but bottom line is that she has no real witnesses that saw any alleged abuse that are willing to come forward to testify or photos with no date and time stamps.

As for Whitney: Johnny pleaded with her to settle out of court quietly and peacefully but she refused. Amber is the one who would have put Whitney in the heat, not him. The recordings show that he really tried, practically begged her not to go forward but all she cared about was her name and nobody else so if Whitney has anyone to blame it should be Amber.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:50 am

The UK cases and Virginia cases are different, mostly because they have different defendants.

The Sun has regular defamation cases, sometimes they settle, sometimes they lose. It seems to be part of their normal business.
So a settlement seems possible.

Heard does not have anything to offer as a settlement so far. She seems incapable of admitting her wrong doing. Her lawyers tried to show a photo that they probably thought would embarrass Depp and nothing happened. Her lawyers have been trying for dismissal.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 am

ForeverYoung wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:04 am
As for Whitney: Johnny pleaded with her to settle out of court quietly and peacefully but she refused. Amber is the one who would have put Whitney in the heat, not him. The recordings show that he really tried, practically begged her not to go forward but all she cared about was her name and nobody else so if Whitney has anyone to blame it should be Amber.
I very much agree with you.
But will Amber and their parents look at it in this rational, sensible way? Or will they blame Whitney if she doesn't lie all she can to help her "darling" sister?

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:54 am

And Vanessa has entered and filed a legal statement much as before and is willing to testify in VA
https://theblast.com/120932/Johnny-depp ... s-violent-

Shockingly, in her declaration, Vanessa decided to go further than just explaining her experiences with Depp -- she actually calls out Amber Heard's allegations against as untrue.

"I have seen that these outrageous statements have been really distressing, and also caused damage to his career because unfortunately, people have gone on believing these false facts."

Paradis even wrote about the affect the allegations have had on Depp, as she believes he has done too much good during his life to warrant the accusations.

”This is so upsetting as he has helped so many persons in his personal and professional life, with kindness and generosity,” she wrote.

Depp's attorney Adam Waldman isn't surprised by the outpouring of legal statements made, telling The Blast, “Amber Heard attempted to project her own history of abusing others onto Johnny Depp. A groundswell of sworn statements rejecting Heard’s bogus characterization from those who have known and loved Johnny for decades should surprise no one. In contrast, Amber Heard’s confederates and erstwhile witnesses are now crumbling like cookies, recanting their testimony and pulling away from her hoax.”
I wonder who is recanting their testimony. YESSS!

Moonbeam

Unread post by Moonbeam » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am

I have always thought Vanessa Paradis was a classy Lady! I also greatly admire Penelope Cruz and Winona Ryder! I am proud of them all for standing up for Johnny!! That is, as well as all his other supporters! Supporters of the TRUTH!
I am especially happy that Vanessa came out and challenged Amber Heard's false facts and for her assessment of Johnny's personality and life that the public are not privy to. All of their comments and willingness to testify for Johnny are really admirable!!
GO Johnny's Team!! :highfive:
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't."-- "The truth will come out...and I will be standing on the other side of the roaring rapids. I hope other people will too." --Johnny Depp #justiceforjohnnydepp

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:16 pm

A big THANK YOU to Vanessa. If anyone could virtually pummel Amber Heard into oblivion, it's Vanessa Paradis! :applause2:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:17 pm

meeps wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 am
ForeverYoung wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:04 am
I very much agree with you.
But will Amber and their parents look at it in this rational, sensible way? Or will they blame Whitney if she doesn't lie all she can to help her "darling" sister?
I think that Whitney is in a very hot seat right now because she is really looking like a POS for not standing up for her sister especially when Amber put her as a witness to some of the alleged abuse. If my sister was abused I would be the first one getting on the stand against her accuser and making a statement. I know Amber is protecting her but she has nothing to lose if she is telling the truth.

I also think it's great some of Johnny's friends and ex partners are coming forward, especially Vanessa. :ok:

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm

According to Adam Waldman AH's witnesses are recanting their testimony. Any thought on who they may be?
My primary guess would be Raquel, her former 'bestie'. Also, with the obvious absence of any comment from Whitney, could she be having second thoughts regarding standing up for her sister? Now that would be very telling.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Granny576

Unread post by Granny576 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Forever young. Worse. Witney cannot take a chance on Ambers. Wrath. I know she knows better.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Moonbeam wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:57 am
I have always thought Vanessa Paradis was a classy Lady! I also greatly admire Penelope Cruz and Winona Ryder! I am proud of them all for standing up for Johnny!! That is, as well as all his other supporters! Supporters of the TRUTH!
I am especially happy that Vanessa came out and challenged Amber Heard's false facts and for her assessment of Johnny's personality and life that the public are not privy to. All of their comments and willingness to testify for Johnny are really admirable!!
GO Johnny's Team!! :highfive:
You touched all bases, Moonbeam. Agree with every word! :bouquet:

I am wondering the very same thing re: Whitney and other AH “witnesses”, Chocolat. IMAO, they are all adults, they all made choices that contributed to an innocent man seeing years of his life mercilessly sabotaged beyond recognition, as well as incurring what can no longer be denied will be on-going, irreparable damage to his career, personal/professional reputation, and emotional well-being into perpetuity.

As far as AH “not having 50 million dollars” being a reason to “settle” for anything less, I can only reiterate what I have said since Johnny first filed his defamation suit against her: She doesn’t have the money? Gee, that’s too bad - better find it or expect to have a mechanism put in place to ensure every paycheck (or services-rendered-remuneration) she receives for the foreseeable future is docked/attached. Amber Heard is a LIAR and she’ll swear on her life to ANYTHING to get off the financial end of any Court Order, any settlement, any jury-driven award/decision. In her mind, no payment means she wins. There is truly no room in this lawsuit for gentlemanly generosity to bring it to a close.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot