The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Lbock

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Lbock » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:03 pm

Johnny Depp has now also filed his notice of appeal for his own appeal
https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/cav-pu ... SearchForm

Update: New York Post has an article
https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/Johnny-de ... SocialFlow

"A source close to Depp told The Post the actor believes the verdict was overwhelmingly positive for him and it’s time for him and Heard to move on with their lives and heal.

But, the source said, since the 36-year-old actress brought further litigation with her appeal, Depp is counter-appealing in Fairfax, Virginia, court to ensure the record includes his side and that all the legal issues are considered by the appeals court."

ForeverYoung

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Lbock wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:03 pm
Johnny Depp has now also filed his notice of appeal for his own appeal
https://eapps.courts.state.va.us/cav-pu ... SearchForm

Update: New York Post has an article
https://nypost.com/2022/07/22/Johnny-de ... SocialFlow

"A source close to Depp told The Post the actor believes the verdict was overwhelmingly positive for him and it’s time for him and Heard to move on with their lives and heal.

But, the source said, since the 36-year-old actress brought further litigation with her appeal, Depp is counter-appealing in Fairfax, Virginia, court to ensure the record includes his side and that all the legal issues are considered by the appeals court."
I guess she likes humiliation, because she is going to get it again. I believe he would not have appealed if she would have just left it alone. If she has the money to post the bond, then she has the money to pay the judgment. Who wants to make a bet that any day now, there will be a statement saying JD won't leave her alone because he countersued?
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

ForeverYoung

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:17 pm

I forgot to mention that for some unknown reason, I could not sign on to my home computer last night due to "too many failed sign in attempts" and was told to wait 2 hours and try again and when I did that I got the same message. I had not used my home computer all day, since the morning. I am going to try and find out who was trying to hack my system but I have a pretty good idea who it might have been. People here might want to change their system passwords.

Judymac

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:11 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:17 pm
I forgot to mention that for some unknown reason, I could not sign on to my home computer last night due to "too many failed sign in attempts" and was told to wait 2 hours and try again and when I did that I got the same message. I had not used my home computer all day, since the morning. I am going to try and find out who was trying to hack my system but I have a pretty good idea who it might have been. People here might want to change their system passwords.
Thanks for letting us know.

Judymac

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:34 pm

Inquiring Minds wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:44 pm
Statement from Amber Heard on Notice of Appeal:

“We believe the court made errors that prevented a just and fair verdict consistent with the First Amendment”

Via Angenette Levy @Angenette5 (twitter)
According to this statement, AH intends to use First Amendment, Anti-SLAPP arguments to overturn the verdict. But as the verdict itself shows, this was not freedom of speech, it was defamation, and lies simply aren’t covered.

I had thought she had Anti-SLAPP motions in anyway, and they could only proceed if she had won (or am I confused on this)?

I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if her appeal gets off the ground.
I don't understand what you mean by proceed. She has the legal right to appeal the verdict but just because she appeals the verdict does not mean that anything will come out of it.

If I remember correctly Judge A ruled in her favor as to the anti SLAPP. If her lawyers did not argue the point and convince the jury then it is too bad. They do not get a retrial because her lawyers were not effective enough to win the case. Her lawyers made a huge miscalculation during the trial. They focused on Johnny's drinking and drug use and wanted the jury to conclude that he was a wife beater. Now, they want to have a retrial because their strategy failed. But, it does not work that way.

Granna

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Granna » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:07 pm

JudyMac: Sorry, I am a little slow on the uptake. I have not been in the loop on this, as I am moving to another state. Packing.

Are you saying the defense can not go back and retry this using the anti-slap laws at all? As the jury found it was defamation with malice? Thanks

SnoopyDances

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:04 pm

SnoopyDances

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:11 pm

SnoopyDances

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:13 pm

Judymac

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Granna wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:07 pm
JudyMac: Sorry, I am a little slow on the uptake. I have not been in the loop on this, as I am moving to another state. Packing.

Are you saying the defense can not go back and retry this using the anti-slap laws at all? As the jury found it was defamation with malice? Thanks
I think people are under the impression that if she files an appeal that she gets a new trial. That is not the way it works. A person only gets to try their case one time. They do not get a redo of the trial because they did not present the correct evidence, effectively argue their points, or because they lost the case. That is not what the appeals process is about. Judge A ruled in AH's favor on the Anti SLAPP. The appeals court looks for mistakes in Judge A's rulings and mistakes by the jurors. I am sure that AH will want the Appeals Court to look at every one one of Judge A's rulings and probably every objection that did not go AH's way. The Appeals Court is looking for mistakes in Judge A's rulings. They are looking for legal mistakes they are not trying to criticize Judge A. But, even if they find that Judge A made a mistake that does not mean that AH will get a retrial. It is not impossible to get a retrial but it is very difficult.

This was not a typical trial. This was an extremely long trial and both sides had plenty of time to present their cases. To contrast this case, I had jury duty last week for a criminal case. The entire trial took 4 (very long) days.
Last edited by Judymac on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judymac

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Amber Heard filed her Notice of Appeal, not her appeal. What that means is that she notified the court that she plans to appeal.

myfave

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by myfave » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:15 pm

Judymac wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm
Amber Heard filed her Notice of Appeal, not her appeal. What that means is that she notified the court that she plans to appeal.
Thank you.
"Hello South Carolina" ...............*swoon*

Judymac

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:19 pm

myfave wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:15 pm
Judymac wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm
Thank you.
You're welcome.

ForeverYoung

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 pm

It seems we have a new wierdo Michele Dauber who has nothing better to do than trash JD. Another coward just like Eve B. that posts insults and then shuts off her comments. Seriously, where does she get these crazies from??? :hypnotic: :dunce: :smh:

Chocolat

The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Chocolat » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:53 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:06 pm
It seems we have a new wierdo Michele Dauber who has nothing better to do than trash JD. Another coward just like Eve B. that posts insults and then shuts off her comments. Seriously, where does she get these crazies from??? :hypnotic: :dunce: :smh:
Agree, ForeverYoung. Both women should be ashamed of themselves for their horrible behavior toward Johnny and his supporters.
Is there nothing they won't stoop to with their mud slinging? The hatred they publicly post goes beyond trash talk. It's seriously dangerous. Fingers crossed that all that negativity will return to them in some way that will have them silenced.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.