The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
Judymac

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by Judymac » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:03 pm

Someareborn wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:02 pm
Will the VA trial be about all 12 incidents? Or about the original 3?

Adam seems to be a perfect fit to expose her publicly. But I question the legal strategy, I doubt that any pictures will have an impact, altough its a jury. In my opinion they need to focus on sworn testimony from Dr.Kipper and all the nurses, the doc in Australia....
I don't understand why they did not subpoena the medical professionals on this.

Also, to cross-examine her brutally.
Like, how do you know your nose was broken?
Which doctor could confirm it? Did you use makeup to hide the injuries you claim? Who did apply the makeup? What kind of makeup?
Get all the details about her crap to prove that she is lying constantly.
Otherwise, there is no way JD can win it, I guess.
We do not know what his strategy will be. This case is not being tried in social media and he is not going to give away his strategy. His social media posts are for the information of fans and other interested parties. This is like a game of poker, he is not going to show his entire hand, if he shows his entire hand he will lose his advantage. Adam Waldman is to good of an attorney to give away his strategy.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:32 pm

Not much happening in the courts
Updated schedules

(Note, on the new order I did see that "jury trial" was checked No. I can only assume an error????

Someareborn

Unread post by Someareborn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:37 pm

I agree, I hope JD's lawyers strategy goes beyond releasing private pictures. Because, if winning a libel case in the UK was considered to be easy, he faces an uphill battle in VA.

As I understand from the claim it boils down to two incidents where JD has to prove his innocence. The "phone incident" and "the stair" incident. In general I think that if Whitney, Amanda DeCadenet or Tasya Van Ree would crack or testify for the truth it could make a difference with great effect. Hopefully they are working on these ends.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:44 pm

I also think he has to better explain the "airplane incident" with His texts to Bettany & Stephen's texts

Also the "Australia incident" where he was clearly buying and possibly using drugs. (He asked Nathan if he could get "more" suggesting what he got had been used)

Someareborn

Unread post by Someareborn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:45 pm

thiefcat wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 am

I also wondered why they didn't subpoena Dr Kipper and the nurse a while back and found this online. :)

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/s ... 1-2020.pdf
So, AH issued a subpoena for Dr Kipper December2020?? Why didn't JD's team offered testimony? I am confused.

Someareborn

Unread post by Someareborn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:54 pm

Lbock wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:44 pm

I also think he has to better explain the "airplane incident" with His texts to Bettany & Stephen's texts

Also the "Australia incident" where he was clearly buying and possibly using drugs. (He asked Nathan if he could get "more" suggesting what he got had been used)
I agree. The "airplane incident" has always been JD's archilles heel in my opinion, I was not convinced when it came up in the trial.
About possible drug consumption in Australia, wouldn't the doc have made a note on this? I assume there would be a paper trail.

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm

You are comparing the two cases. But, they are two different cases in two different courts in two different countries. There are different defendants in the two cases and the courts have different rules. The only thing that is the same in the case is Johnny and Amber.

Johnny does not have to prove his innocence. Innocence and guilt are for criminal cases not civil cases. There is a much lower standard of proof in a civil case. In a civil case the standard is "more likely than not". He has to prove that is more likely than not that things happened in the way that he is presenting them.

Someareborn

Unread post by Someareborn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:40 pm

I am sorry if I upset you - I try to understand the legal aspect of it all - and much of it seems to be two sides of a coin.

But, the case in VA is a case of defamation, isn't it? Judge already ruled that AH did write a defamatory op-ed about him. So, the burden of proof is on him, basically "proving" that her claim is wrong. Ergo, that her allegations are wrong.
Correct?

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Someareborn wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:40 pm
I am sorry if I upset you - I try to understand the legal aspect of it all - and much of it seems to be two sides of a coin.
Did you mean me? You did not upset me. The VA case is a defamation case against Amber Heard. What Johnny has to prove is that what he says is more likely true than not true. It is also called preponderance of evidence. Under the preponderance standard, the burden of proof is met when the party with the burden convinces the fact finder that there is a greater than 50% chance that the claim is true. This is a much lower standard of proof than a criminal case.

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 pm

Also, the judge only ruled that the op-ed was likely about Johnny, but the trial will determine whether or not it was defamatory.
Johnny has to prove that the article cost him work, money, and reputation.
His side will also want to prove that the op-ed was in fact about him and possibly done with malicious intent.

Not sure what else his team strategy will include.

Johnny's team called AH's claims a hoax, which is what her defamation suit is about, so they will likely go into any evidence of an organized hoax in Johnny's trial.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm

The statements about the Boston flight airplane incident seem problematic for both sides.
There are inconsistencies about who was on plane. In Heard's first UK witness statement she says Keenan Wyatt, Stephen Deuters, Nathan Holmes, Jerry Judge, Savannah McMillan and flight attendant were on plane.
IO Tillet Wright Witness statement says Amber said Stephen Deuters, Jerry Judge, Savannah McMillan and one or two others were on the plane.
Amber does not mention in later statements that Savannah or Nathan were on the plane.
Stephen Deuters drew a plan of where people were seated which did not include Savannah or Nathan. Also there is one empty seat in the front and the other two empty seats are at the table with Johnny and Amber. No one was said to be sitting at the table with them.
I would love to know if the flight attendant remembers the flight and whether there were one or two women passengers.

There does not seem to be any subpoena or witness statement for Keenan Wyatt, Nathan Holmes or Savannah McMillan.
My suspicion is that all these people have information which would not reflect well on both Johnny or Amber.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:06 am

Yes interesting that AH hasn't called on Savannah. I wonder if Savannah and Nathan are both in similar positions in that testifying would expose them to possible criminal charges - Savannah over breaking immigration rules and Nathan over drug dealing - he was clearly obtaining drugs for someone else's consumption and at the very least that could lead him to be unable to go to the US or Australia ever again.

But then there are absolutely loads of people we didn't heard from in London. I wonder if it was a time constraint ie they had to agree to a timetable of 3 weeks and so both sides put forward their best witnesses.

I was really surprised that Greg Williams didn't come forward with those photos earlier.

On Dr Kipper and the nurses - there are surely medical confidentiality issues? Given that Johnny has been (fairly) open about addictions and the damage has really been done, it is AH I think who has most to fear since she claimed every single medical note was a lie and that she barely drank of took drugs. And haven't they both been compelled to hand over relevant medical records?

Judymac

Unread post by Judymac » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:51 am

RumLover wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm
The statements about the Boston flight airplane incident seem problematic for both sides.
There are inconsistencies about who was on plane. In Heard's first UK witness statement she says Keenan Wyatt, Stephen Deuters, Nathan Holmes, Jerry Judge, Savannah McMillan and flight attendant were on plane.
IO Tillet Wright Witness statement says Amber said Stephen Deuters, Jerry Judge, Savannah McMillan and one or two others were on the plane.
Amber does not mention in later statements that Savannah or Nathan were on the plane.
Stephen Deuters drew a plan of where people were seated which did not include Savannah or Nathan. Also there is one empty seat in the front and the other two empty seats are at the table with Johnny and Amber. No one was said to be sitting at the table with them.
I would love to know if the flight attendant remembers the flight and whether there were one or two women passengers.

There does not seem to be any subpoena or witness statement for Keenan Wyatt, Nathan Holmes or Savannah McMillan.
My suspicion is that all these people have information which would not reflect well on both Johnny or Amber.
I am sure that Johnny's attorneys will argue that part of io's statement is heresay. You can't testify about something that someone else told you. io would need firsthand knowledge of the incident. He can not testify about anything that happened on the plane because he was not on the plane.

rufusindigo

Unread post by rufusindigo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:02 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:06 am
Yes interesting that AH hasn't called on Savannah. I wonder if Savannah and Nathan are both in similar positions in that testifying would expose them to possible criminal charges - Savannah over breaking immigration rules and Nathan over drug dealing - he was clearly obtaining drugs for someone else's consumption and at the very least that could lead him to be unable to go to the US or Australia ever again.

But then there are absolutely loads of people we didn't heard from in London. I wonder if it was a time constraint ie they had to agree to a timetable of 3 weeks and so both sides put forward their best witnesses.

I was really surprised that Greg Williams didn't come forward with those photos earlier.

On Dr Kipper and the nurses - there are surely medical confidentiality issues? Given that Johnny has been (fairly) open about addictions and the damage has really been done, it is AH I think who has most to fear since she claimed every single medical note was a lie and that she barely drank of took drugs. And haven't they both been compelled to hand over relevant medical records?
With regard to Greg Williams, he was still with his former long term girlfriend, designer Alice Temperley at the time. If I recall correctly, Alice Temperley used Amber Heard as her muse - even going so far as to have an entire shop window filled with Amber Heard mannequins! :yuck: I'm not sure how this might have impacted the timing of the release of these photos, but the implication in one of her interviews was that she was good friends with Amber https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/es ... 69137.html

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:00 pm

I can't believe Amber Heard had the nerve to use us to accuse JD of a smear campaign when she has her friend Eve Barlow posting trash about JD and his fans on her IG and twitter every chance she gets. I think she is an attention hoarder like her buddy or maybe just another freeloader that has no job and has nothing else better to do. I suggest everyone ignore her postings and do no respond to them.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."