The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
stroch

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by stroch » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 am

When was the kitchen-cupboard-slamming incident filmed? I thought that was the when he found out about the managers' malfeasance.
Once I had a timeline of all the revelations, but a computer crash wiped out the hard drive.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Someareborn

Unread post by Someareborn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 am

I think we don't have an confirmed date for the kitchen-cabinet video. But good question!

The same I think, is true for the audios, can't tie them to a certain date. But somewhere in the tapes she says that she almost considered herself to be single after the Toronto incident. She often talks about ending the relationship if XYZ does not change. I understand it as a constant "threat", to make him stay on board and her way to keep control over the situation. Like, I hurt you before you can hurt me - thats probably why she mentioned it in court.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 am

There were two financial episodes. One where he realized things weren’t right. Mandels had a “come to jesus” meeting and he knew things were bad. Then a second meeting with Ed White after he took over and they did their initial review and possibly an audit and he knew it was really bad and his taxes weren’t being paid etc

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Adam has posted again including a letter from her lawyers in September 2016 ranting on about Johnny paying the two hundred thousand dollars not directly to her. (This must be courtesy of Laura Wasser providing Johnny's team with documents.)

Adam has also reminded us of some of the press statements at the time. It is simply mind blowing what she has done, sometimes I'll just be going about my business and I have to stop and shudder. Not so much that she didn't donate but that she made SUCH a song and dance about it. It wasn't like she said in 2016 that she would donate to try and shake the gold digger image and then just quietly went away. Or even that it was once or twice. She literally talked about it repeatedly in the press and allowed articles to be published without being corrected - and then went on TV to say it, and then in a witness statement.

A few random thoughts - I don't see that the CHLA has done anything wrong has it? They correctly waited for the right subpoena/instruction. They put her on a pledge list and thanked her; although they didn't publicly say at any time that they didn't receive the money - they took her off the list of donors published in 2020 (presumably when they got no reply to their 2019 letter). They seem to have responded in fairly good time to the subpoena. I would not expect them to have made a public statement about it.

The ACLU is disgusting. They fully knew that the money was not coming from her and yet made statements and attempted to get in on the VA action. All to do the bidding of their biggest donor. I get he's a big donor but charities should never, ever cut corners or act inappropriately at the behest of donors.

Now the other day I asked a tricky legal question and got a good set of answers so today I am asking a finance/accounting question. Can anyone see if she has done anything wrong tax wise?

A couple of thoughts come to mind - one I remember in 2016 when her side claimed JD was getting tax benefit providing the money directly a tax accountant commented that was incorrect - because the donations were part of his divorce, he would get the same tax relief whether he paid direct to her or to the charity.

Secondly, Edward White said something I didn't understand about the way the money was paid to her. He questioned why she wanted it in a certain way if she was intending on donating - that there was some better, more tax efficient way for her to receive the money and then donate. That implies to me that she is guilty of lying, deception, perjury etc but not of tax evasion.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:28 pm

From The Independent - Nov. 29, 2016

It seems the ACLU won't respond to JD's subpoenas but made a statement back in 2016 they received $350,000.

"TMZ later updated its story after receiving a statement from Heard’s lawyer Pierce O’Donnell which explained the hold-up is due to the divorce papers not having been signed yet.

"The settlement documents are being finalised and will be signed this week,” he said. “Johnny is obligated by the settlement to pay Amber and she in turn will honour her pledges to Children’s Hospital and the ACLU.”

The ACLU also told the website they had received some further payment when Heard made a $350,000 payment in August with sources claiming it was an advanced payment relying on Depp to then pay her the rest of the settlement."

Feel free to share:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/peop ... 45161.html
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Maybe this is the "seven figures" she has donated????? (her lawyer maybe can't count).

That's lovely if she donated that. But it isn't the three and a half million dollars she said she would give to ACLU.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 pm

She probably didn't even donate that with her own money or else she would have proved it with the receipt.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:31 pm

stroch wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 am
When was the kitchen-cupboard-slamming incident filmed? I thought that was the when he found out about the managers' malfeasance.
Once I had a timeline of all the revelations, but a computer crash wiped out the hard drive.
I believe it was February 2016 because the clothes and his facial hair match with the photos taken at the Grammy gift lounge and interview.
I don't agree with people who think April 2016 which was when he had meeting that told him how much money he lost. It would take some time for the accountants to do an audit and produce a final number so he would have had indications of problems before deciding to do the audit. I also don't agree that it was after his mother died on 20 May 2016 because both agree that they did not see each other between 22 April 2016 (AH birthday) and 21 May 2016 (alleged phone throwing.)

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:35 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:36 pm
Maybe this is the "seven figures" she has donated????? (her lawyer maybe can't count).

That's lovely if she donated that. But it isn't the three and a half million dollars she said she would give to ACLU.
“Amber has already been responsible for seven figures in donations to charitable causes and intends to continue to contribute and eventually fulfill her pledge,”
It doesn't say that she donated. "Responsible for" could mean many things including she lobbied others to donate which might not even mean doing so in her name.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Based on the tweets by Adam Waldman, the charity donations were as below.
Vanguard and Fidelity are used by Elon Musk.
"you" is a reference in an email from ACLU.
So seven figures but not from AH.
Source Charity Amount Date Total
Depp ACLU $100,000 20-Aug-16
Vanguard ACLU $500,000 09-Jun-17
"you" ACLU $350,000 $950,000
Depp CHLA $100,000 20-Aug-16
Vanguard CHLA $500,000 01-Jun-17
FidelityCharitable CHLA $250,000 09-Jan-18 $850,000
FidelityCharitable Art of Elysium $250,000 $250,000
$2,050,000
edit to correct error in total
Last edited by RumLover on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 pm

Rum lover thank you for putting that up. So even with Elon it is way way short of what she said she donated. So even if she twists her own words and counts the money of others then seven million has not been donated. Is she going to blame Elon for his miserliness in not handing over the full amount? She is going to blame someone.

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Excellent summary thanks RumLover :)

I keep splitting the CHLA and ACLU donations and forget to total. Even together, $2m is way short of her pledge and regardless, the only money that came out of her pocket was the $350,000 "pre-payment" to the ACLU.

And do we even know that the $350k was paid after she had made the pledge? They seem to have been covering her arse for a long, long time and she could have slung them the money for previous services rendered anyway. She has a history with the ACLU going back to when she was in juvie. I'm thinking they probably helped her out in her 50c stripping days too - fending off assault claims from lapdance clients. But we won't have any real idea of that until she produces her arrest records.

Oh wait, $7m settlement, seven figure donations, add all the digits in $2,050,000 = 7

Now it all makes sense.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 am

Inquiring Minds you have just made me laugh out loud over the 50 cent stripping. I had forgotten about that. Assaulting her lap dance clients! Hmm I wonder if it is true (that she was a stripper) - I don't understand when, wasn't she modelling and in Hollywood quite young? The comment about a 50 cent stripper in JD's text could conceivably just be him using a turn of phrase (like the awesome flappy fish market). It also came up at the end of the second recording - she said "what's next rumours that I was a stripper". And then he turned - but I was never sure if the thing that upset him was her accusation that he might tell the press she had been a stripper, or that she accused him of leaking news of her arrest records. And then Ryan Leone said something about it but I'm not quite sure about him.

I've always assumed it wasn't true - but this whole thing about her arrest records makes you wonder. JD must have known something otherwise why would they be pushing this?

Anyway, point of this message was to truly thank you for a good chuckle Inquiring Minds.

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 pm

So glad I could provide some humour AdeleAgain :)

I can't remember where I heard the 50c stripper remark - I think it was one of IncrediblyAverage's early videos covering the audio tapes. My recall (and I can't promise this is accurate) was that Amber was accusing Johnny of leaking that fact to the press - something he denied.
Hmm I wonder if it is true (that she was a stripper) - I don't understand when, wasn't she modelling and in Hollywood quite young?
I'm not entirely clear on her early timeline, and I believe this is because she has carefully erased whatever she can from the public record. As best I can make it out she hung with the mean girls at school (she lead them) and ended up in juvie. Speculation is that she consumed a dangerous cocktail of alcohol and illicit drugs and killed her 16 year old BFF in a car accident. Support for this is through her driving infringement a few years later in CA (she was still disqualified from driving, which appears to relate to her period of juvenile incarceration). Although she didn't get the grades to pass, she still turns up to the high school graduation formal having petitioned the school via the ACLU for a lesbian couple to be allowed to attend (as a couple). This indicates she had an association with the ACLU before end of school - again consistent with them providing her with support during her detention.

The next I see is she was in New York for a short period. I've found almost nothing on this period (so far) and welcome release of details on her arrest record specifically to bring some clarity. This appears to have been her stripping period (or at least one). She finished her high school qualifications outside school probably at this time (correspondence, adult education classes or similar I'm guessing). I'm also guessing she did classes during the day and stripping during the night. I think this was only for about 6 months.

I know back around 2000, twice a year Hollywood executives and some celebs would travel en masse to New York to announce new programs for the upcoming season. My next guess is that some time when New York was full of Hollywood people partying, she snared a lapdance customer that she used to get an audition in CA. She said she had to go to a lot of auditions when she hit CA, but I suspect her first was booked before she arrived.

I've only seen one piece from Ryan Leone but something about it made me feel it was probably pretty accurate.

I also think the ACLU saw her as a future poster girl. An incorrigible, out-of-control teen, a victim of paternal child abuse who finishes school, makes good, is beaten down by a powerful white man, fights injustice and the patriarchy to come out victorious and emerge as a champion of oppressed women the world over. All through the efforts and intervention of the ACLU. The problem was: she's just incorrigible. The ACLU, imo, has just been in spin control since, thinking they can still twist evidence and facts to support their intended public narrative.

The above is all speculation with very little tangible evidence or factual support. Any corrections appreciated.

Granna

Unread post by Granna » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:16 pm

Inquiring Minds - Somewhere, there is an article about her connection with a drug dealer BEFORE she teamed up with JD. The article was not complimentary. It did show to what ends she would go to - to be famous. That might help your timeline and her seedy connections BEFORE hooking her evil claws into JD.

There is another article out there about her high school years. She apparently claimed something about a boy. Allegations. - that's why she left high school - her reputation was questioned.