The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
AdeleAgain

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:08 pm

PS Back onto Fear and Loathing - why have I not being doing this for the past four years! It actually feels great and every so often when I am stopping for a cup of tea - I pull the iPad in front of me, turn up the sound and enjoy scene or two.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:28 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:08 pm
PS Back onto Fear and Loathing - why have I not being doing this for the past four years! It actually feels great and every so often when I am stopping for a cup of tea - I pull the iPad in front of me, turn up the sound and enjoy scene or two.
I've run out of free stuff to stream. Netflix only has Rum Diary and no point streaming that. My Amazon Prime has Tourist, Rango and Secret Window

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Wait - I am repeating things on Netflix - that's ok right, it counts each time? I understood that it did. I just want registered clicks or shows or whatever!! And if they see he's popular it will encourage them to have more of his films on?

(Sorry I know this is off topic of the lawsuit but JD gets royalties - I want to help fund the fight.)

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:35 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:33 pm
Wait - I am repeating things on Netflix - that's ok right, it counts each time? I understood that it did. I just want registered clicks or shows or whatever!! And if they see he's popular it will encourage them to have more of his films on?

(Sorry I know this is off topic of the lawsuit but JD gets royalties - I want to help fund the fight.)
. No that's great. I'm repeating. I'm just saying I don't have much to choose from.

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:45 pm

AdeleAgain - Stephen?

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:50 pm

Inquiring Minds wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:45 pm
AdeleAgain - Stephen?
Stephen Deuters

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Our streaming efforts may be working! On Netflix in UK Donnie Brasco is trending and they've just added Rango which I must confess I haven't seen ever.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:09 pm

Justice Nicol stated the ex must be telling the truth because JD admitted to drinking and taking drugs but he never took into consideration that the ex, all her friend/witnesses and her sister who testified, took drugs and drank too, especially at Hicksville. As a matter of fact, the sister was the one who supplied the cocaine at the ex's house and she did it with him.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:10 pm

AdeleAgain wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm
Our streaming efforts may be working! On Netflix in UK Donnie Brasco is trending and they've just added Rango which I must confess I haven't seen ever.
Rango is great! I am sure you will enjoy it. :biggrin:

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Many thanks for the clarification AdeleAgain

The downside of the streaming thing is that being a supporter rather than a fan/stan (don't get me wrong, I like all of the work of his I've seen), I haven't sought out and seen everything. Now as I start streaming them, I have other things to do and miss most of the story. Now I will have to watch them again properly (and hence one more viewing click).

I also noticed that Netflix has a "like" rating method, I'm making a point of giving them all a thumbs up. Streaming Tourist now.

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread post by Joni » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Okay, let's get back on topic here. The Daily Thread is open all the time for anyone who wants to talk about what Johnny movie they are watching, listening to or streaming. Let's keep this thread for Johnny's lawsuit cases.

Thank you.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:42 pm

Lbock wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 pm
Pretty good article explaining the judgement and appeal. It’s opinion based. And contrasts to the USA case

https://www.legalcheek.com/lc-journal-p ... bel-trial/
Well, this fellow pretty much lost me when he referenced Johnny’s “ ....already patchy career ...” .

Nonetheless, beyond the initial contrasting of the two cases, UK and USA, which I found interesting, this sure is a “difficult” article to read and not get annoyed! The assertion throughout is that Johnny and Company have made every misstep possible throughout the trial, should never have pursued the SUN defamation in the first place, and should certainly not be pursuing an appeal.

I, however, would argue the author strains to make a case for Mr. Justice Nicol, the value of his extensive experience on the bench, his weighing and consideration of all the evidence before him, and most egregious, his abysmal lack of “....findings of fact against Depp.” Did Mr. Ramsey even read the entire Decision? This is precisely what everyone is up in arms about: Justice Nicol seemed to have a decision in his head and his only concern was getting that down with as little effort as necessary on his part, neither justifying his conclusions nor citing the witnesses, evidence or circumstances he disagreed with or why. See some excerpts below:
“....While at first glance the test appears wide, it is difficult to see how Depp would be successful and what an appeal would achieve. Mr Justice Nicol’s judgment is extensive and involves various findings of fact against Depp across those 14 incidents. The judge made those findings having had the advantage of numerous witnesses giving live evidence. Any appeal hearing, should permission even be granted, would not be a rehearing of the case and would most likely be submission-based only.

This case revolved around the issue of fact, with the judge having to decide which versions of events were more credible. The judge sided with Heard. Any appeal court would place significant weight on the judge’s discretion in the case, with him being more familiar with the evidence than any appeal court would be.

The decision

Ultimately, ruling in Depp II v News Group Newspaper Ltd [2020] EWHC 2911 (QB), Mr Justice Nicol found that while the statement of ‘wife beater’ would cause serious harm to Depp’s reputation, a fact accepted by The Sun‘s legal team in closing submissions, it was also found on the balance of probabilities that such a statement was true. Of the 14 incidents of physical violence alleged against then-wife Amber Heard, 12 of them had been proved to the civil standard. For the two incidents which could not be proven, the judge noted this was due to certain facts not being put to Depp during cross-examination. Further, the judge rejected Depp’s case that this was all hoax concocted by Heard finding that she had not been physically violent towards Depp.

......Whether the statement, or indeed the article as a whole, is a fair reflection of events is immaterial to the truth defence. All Mr Justice Nicol was concerned about was whether the term ‘wife beater’ was substantially true or not. It was accepted by both parties that such a term meant the following:

i) The claimant had committed physical violence against Heard;
ii) This had caused her to suffer significant injury; and
iii) On occasion it caused Heard to fear for her life

critical analysis of the Johnny Depp libel trial
Benjamin Ramsey
By Benjamin Ramsey
on Nov 5 2020 11:55am
FYI : underlining, highlighting, italics added by me
Last edited by justintime on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:12 pm

There is a change.org campaign to have Judge Nicol fired. :biglaugh:

https://practicesource.com/Johnny-depp- ... ice-nicol/

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Well, now we’re getting somewhere! :rotflmao: Thanks, ForeverYoung, for the much needed chuckle. Sure wish we could make that happen!
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:10 am

I think it would be a mistake not to appeal. He has 21 days to submit. If he requests an appeal and later decides not to proceed he can withdraw it but if he does not submit he cannot do it later.
I hope he has the best appeals lawyers looking at the judgement to find points of law to support the appeal. It is now or never.