The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Thank you, Lbock, for posting that AP announcement. So the MSM is interested, eh?

I know many of us have been on pins and needles with the seemingly long time taken Mr. Justice Nicol took to reach his decision, but I think many forget we were told he would be on vacation from immediately after the end of the trial through the whole month of September. So, in reality, it’s rather a reasonable turnaround time.

Keeping my fingers crossed, (and my heart rate in check), as I’m sure we all are, for a thorough and just decision wholly in Johnny’s favor. No loopholes, real or imagined.

Gorgeous photo of JD! :heart2:
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:10 pm

The order is posted on Adam with no details.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/s ... 7-2020.pdf

Elaine is to file another declaration on legal fees for this motion

Elaine also filed her declaration on fees awarded on her work to compel Johnny’s deposition. Depp can oppose in 7 days. She can oppose Depp in 7 days. Judge will then decide final number. It stands at $21k+
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/s ... 2-2020.pdf

There is also a hearing filed by Ben Chew for a protective order. No other doc to accompany it has been uploaded yet. I can only speculate it’s too keep twitter accounts redacted???
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/s ... 7-2020.pdf

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:18 pm

It could be a protective order for Johnny's deposition.

The good news is that the judge denied her request to block Adam Waldman from communicating with the press and social media or potential third party witnesses.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 am

I’m wondering since it’s a hearing re a protective order maybe is to declassify some of the many documents she marked confidential outside the agreed to list 🤷🏻‍♀️

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 pm

The hearings in California from yesterday regarding CHLA And Jenifer Howell subpoenas and the Informal Discovery Conference regarding twitter users was not held and will be advanced by the court. Maybe the judge got sick. Idk. It it was the courts doing

Also, in Fairfax, Depp team filed a scathing opposition to Elaine’s fee request for Johnny not attending the original deposition he was noticed (subpoenaed) for.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circuit/s ... 8-2020.pdf

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:16 pm

So this happened lol. Again don’t have a way to post screenshots other than via Twitter posts 🤷🏻‍♀️

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:39 am

Thank you Lbock! :rosegirl:
Love, positive thoughts, health and best wishes to Johnny. :rose: :namaste:

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:23 am

Just heard on a TV news flash that England has announced tonight! another country-wide lockdown.

Q. Will this impact Johnny wrt his court-ordered deposition in VA, Nov 10, 11 & 12, 2020:
~ Will he have to quarantine fourteen days before the scheduled depo (meaning he would have had to arrive in the U.S. four days ago!) ?

~ Must he still make this trip even if he isn’t allowed to re-enter England?

~ If allowed to re-enter, must he quarantine for fourteen days before he can go back to work on FB3 (or would the “bubble” rule apply?) ?
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Moonbeam

Unread post by Moonbeam » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:20 pm

"There's something quite old-fashioned about Johnny, with these manners- none of it makes sense. But the man's not stupid. He wouldn't have gone to this length if he thought he was in the wrong."~ Helena Bonham Carter about Johnny Depp, October 31, 2020 about the UK libel case.

Ok, I'm ready, as we all are, for tomorrow morning's verdict!! Victory For Johnny Depp!! :namaste:
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't."-- "The truth will come out...and I will be standing on the other side of the roaring rapids. I hope other people will too." --Johnny Depp #justiceforjohnnydepp

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 am

I am sorry to say Johnny lost his lawsuit against NGN.

Judge pretty much said his claims were substantially true, but what NGN had at the time of the article was correct to be reported.

584. It follows that this claim is dismissed.
585. The Claimant has not succeeded in his action for libel. Although he has proved the
necessary elements of his cause of action in libel, the Defendants have shown that what
they published in the meaning which I have held the words to bear was substantially
true. I have reached these conclusions having examined in detail the 14 incidents on
which the Defendants rely as well as the overarching considerations which the Claimant
submitted I should take into account. In those circumstances, Parliament has said that a
defendant has a complete defence. It has not been necessary to consider the fairness of
the article or the defendants’ ‘malice’ because those are immaterial to the statutory
defence of truth. The parties will have an opportunity to make submissions in writing
as to the precise terms of the order which should follow my decision.

thiefcat

Unread post by thiefcat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:13 am

Utterly heartbroken by this news! Why? I have been counting down to this. I just cannot accept this.

tocnavforjd

Unread post by tocnavforjd » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:22 am

I'm confused - how can he have "proved the necessary of his cause of action in libel" yet it was okay that they reported he abused his wife in the article? What am I missing?

This is horrible - the press is now reporting that he did abuse her and that she is the victim. They are picking pieces of the testimony that describe all the bad things she accused him of doing. It is that article from the Sun on steroids. He will be ruined after this no matter what more explanation comes from the judge to explain his decision.
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

Newt

Unread post by Newt » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:34 am

The judge is an idiot or corrupt, there's no other explanation.

He believes Johnny cut his own finger on some broken glass because he said "he" cut his own finger in his text to Kipper that he did, oh my lord.

Johnny won't be ruined. The truth is out there, and there's the Virginia trial, hopefully the judge there will have a functioning brain. And there's also the Australian thing with that witch. Can Johnny appeal this in the UK or not?

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:42 am

I'm devastated. So unfair.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:43 am

Oh dear god! The judge believes nearly all of her claims and witnesses.

Before it was just a cell phone, now its 12+ incidents of systemic constant violence and abuse (with drugs and alcohol)

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2020/2911.html

It's devastating
The judge reasoned out each and every incident and but for 2 or so, found that none of Johnny's witnesses were reliable as they are deemed to be so loyal they would lie for him. Amber never went out without makeup. He believes she wanted to conceal injuries thorughout their relationship. He doesn't believe it a hoax. He doesn't believe the LAPD are reliable as they made no notes and believes all her witnesses as credible. And finds that Johnny being drunk/drugged most of the time affects his memory and causes his anger.

Every incident now and forever for the public, Johnny is guilt of. Almost every claim she made he beat her, the judge agreed!
Last edited by Lbock on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.