The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
justintime

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by justintime » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Does anyone know if the (Rocky) Brooks lawsuit is still on schedule for trial(?) on May 11th? Is Patrick Harris still on Rocky’s legal team?

If so, JD’s legal team will be working non-stop (not that they haven’t already been!) for quite some time: Brooks, May 11th; SUN UK, July; and AH Defamation VA, August.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:20 pm

justintime wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 pm
Does anyone know if the (Rocky) Brooks lawsuit is still on schedule for trial(?) on May 11th? Is Patrick Harris still on Rocky’s legal team?
There have been no changes and no updates as far as I’ve see. Depending on virus here in US if it stays on schedule.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Thank you, Lbock.
"Stay low." ~ JD

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:32 pm

I agree that after what Amber did to Johnny he should take for every dime that she has and leave her a shriveled up mess in the street but I don't think he will. He may hate her for what she did to him, his career, his reputation and his family but he does not seem like a vindictive person to me. The amount he is suing for could just be the norm for these type of cases..not sure but what he is fighting for is her to be exposed, for those who are supporting her to stop and for his reputation. As Johnny already told her back in 2016, she can't save her reputation so it seems the best she can do now is hook up with a cinematographer to try and get her gigs. She must be blacklisted all over the place and she should be.
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Part of a defamation lawsuit for a public figure is they have to show harm. Disney dropping him and loss of that money is the harm and he must Pursue it. You saw the difference in The Sun suit he’s asking for the minimum plus legal fees and punitive damages the court may award

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Lbock wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm
Part of a defamation lawsuit for a public figure is they have to show harm. Disney dropping him and loss of that money is the harm and he must Pursue it. You saw the difference in The Sun suit he’s asking for the minimum plus legal fees and punitive damages the court may award
Oh, I agree he must pursue it, but when he wins the judgement against her I don't think he will take action for the full amount, whatever that may be, is all I am saying. We could very well see the headlines of him winning a "50 million dollar lawsuit" against her but behind the scenes he might only ask for his attorney fees and the refund of the $7 mil over a period of time for her breaking the NDA. We may never really know what really happens in the end. The judge could put the award on record but it doesn't mean Johnny will pursue it and really give her what she truly deserves.

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm

What Johnny won't hold her to, the courts will.
Perjury is a serious crime. A lesson must be learned.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Chocolat wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm
Agreed but when and if that happens it won't be his doing because he begged her to end the divorce peacefully and quietly but she refused and kept doing her speeches, interviews, videos, etc. Johnny is doing what he has to do because she pushed him to this point. If she gets charged for perjury or anything else it's nobody's fault but her own. In fact, I hope she does get charged.

Granny576

Unread post by Granny576 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Elon Musk has donated a large numbers of Respirators to New York hospitals, to help with corona virus.

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 pm

Chocolat wrote:
Adam said they’ve moved his legal representation to “contract” (I think that’s contingency) which I think means they get a percent of any awards. So they will get their 35-50% of the 50m or whatever Johnny is awarded. He won’t have much of a say

It’s possible they think the AH suit is the slam dunk to offset/supplement the costs of Rocky, TMG, Bloom.

But definitely makes a name for his lawyers
Last edited by Joni on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Capitalization

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Based on what I have seen, contingency is 1/3 percentage of any award, depending on the agreement. For example: it could mean he pays a certain fee up to a certain amount and then it goes into contingency or he pays nothing and the lawyer also gets nothing if they don't win. Either way, most lawyers don't take contingency cases unless they think it's a winning case. However, high profile cases like his could be a different situation.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:50 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:15 pm
. . . when he wins the judgement against her I don't think he will take action for the full amount, whatever that may be . . . We could very well see the headlines of him winning a "50 million dollar lawsuit" against her but behind the scenes he might only ask for his attorney fees and the refund of the $7 mil over a period of time for her breaking the NDA. We may never really know what really happens in the end. The judge could put the award on record but it doesn't mean Johnny will pursue it and really give her what she truly deserves.
I think I prefer your “ ... shriveled up mess in the street . . . blacklisted all over the place” post-verdict version of AH in your earlier post, ForeverYoung, over what you describe in your post above. I believe the “never forget, never forgive” Johnny, who would “bite off their (anyone who hurt someone in his family) nose and swallow it” was never vindictive, just protective to the marrow in his bones of those he loves and was determined to ensure anyone thinking otherwise would do best to find another mark.

For his sake and that of all those he cares about, I sincerely hope he does NOT show her an ounce of compassion. She will never see such a gesture as just that - compassion; she will interpret it only as weakness or, worse, as JD harboring lingering feelings for her. Together with HER truly depraved, vindictive nature, she will never, ever leave him in peace should even a whiff of potential retribution ride a breeze in her direction. Whatever he is awarded by the jury, whatever Judge White sees fit to put on record, let him graciously accept it in full - and donate whatever he doesn’t want, after attorney fees and the $7 mil payback, to real charitable entities. AH must NEVER leave that courtroom, after all is said and done, heaving a sigh of relief. Somehow she must be definitively deterred, the repercussions of her years of lies and deception MUST, at long last, hit home.
Chocolat wrote:
I sure hope so, Chocolat.
Lbock wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 pm
Adam said they’ve moved his legal representation to “contract” (I think that’s contingency) which I think means they get a percent of any awards. So they will get their 35-50% of the 50m or whatever Johnny is awarded. He won’t have much of a say

It’s possible they think the AH suit is the slam dunk to offset/supplement the costs of Rocky, TMG, Bloom.

Glad to hear it. Takes Johnny off the hook and his lawyers deserve both the name boost and the % for putting up with the likes of Robbie Kaplan day in and day out.
Last edited by justintime on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD

Lbock

Unread post by Lbock » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:53 pm

ForeverYoung wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 pm
Lbock wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 pm
Chocolat wrote:

Based on what I have seen, contingency is 1/3 percentage of any award, depending on the agreement. For example: it could mean he pays a certain fee up to a certain amount and then it goes into contingency or he pays nothing and the lawyer also gets nothing if they don't win. Either way, most lawyers don't take contingency cases unless they think it's a winning case. However, high profile cases like his could be a different situation.
Contingency is typically 1/3 but since the “contracts” didn’t start until recently it could be a negotiated amount

My point. Whatever Johnny gets awarded will be enforced by his attorneys. As it should be

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 am

If he is awarded a sum of money and the judge files the order against her then she has to pay and if she doesn't then the lawyers will go after her not for Johnny but so that they can get paid. The lawyers take their contingency fees before the client gets the check.

Kittycat88

Unread post by Kittycat88 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Dear Ladies of the Caribbean....

Read through most of this, and am well caught up. Thanks for the interesting reading. I am sooo happy that Johnny's family and friends are coming out so strongly for his history with women. Most of us have lived long enough we have run into a "bad guy" an abuser, maybe involved with a friend or family member. Men don't just suddenly become abusers out of the blue in the 50s....Puleeeze. So unbelievable. I totally believe Johnny never laid his hands on a woman in his life. AH sounds like she is scrambling to get out of a very bad situation. Glad the judge didn't grant her dismissal.