The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
ForeverYoung

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:46 pm

I am not a lawyer but it I can imagine in my head a Judge saying "Wait...you filed a dv charge, then dropped the charge and now you want to have the NDA lifted so you can testify against that person???" :spin: :facepalm: :perplexed3:
“Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible."

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:20 am

AdeleAgain:
you've lost me a bit on further litigation but I do hope you are right and more evidence comes out which helps in Virginia
My apologies 😊 I didn’t mean to be cryptic. My take on the lawsuits overall is laid out below.

Adam Waldman has claimed there are interconnected legal procedures and described “the tip of a defamation iceberg”. <my comments start> Each lawsuit is leveraged into the next (or in parallel).

The divorce settlement could be counted as a win, with Amber’s DV charges thrown out with extreme prejudice and the settlement donated to charity. But with the details under an NDA all the public saw was JD giving Amber $7m.

Then Johnny sued TMG and through discovery he found the link to Bloom. He settled that case and caused a Federal probe to be launched against TMG for possible fraud and money laundering. TMG’s claims of paying off assault victims was shown to be lies.

TMG and subsequent Bloom discovery data added to the case against Amber. Bloom and Hergott ended up resigning, the company settled for an undisclosed sum and have now renamed themselves. It sounds like Johnny crushed them. The whole legal industry was also shaken by the precedent set and it forced many contract renegotiations.

The VA Defamation lawsuit incorporates all that has been learned from the previous cases and now appears to show defamation from Amber, TMG, Bloom et al and now Rocky. Waldman claims they are colluding which will not bode well for them if proven.

The Sun case underway atm is disclosing material previously locked up under the divorce NDA (eg the tapes) and has been extremely damaging for Amber.

This lawsuit (I gather) requires that The Sun prove their claims. They will be dragging out everything they can, making it a dress rehearsal for the VA case. Hopefully by the time it gets to trial in the USA, Depp’s team/s will have torn apart the lies, saving a lot of time and hobbling (but not stopping) the smears.

The VA depositions also outline criminal acts committed by Amber and her co-conspirators (and who to speak to to get answers). Once tested and accepted by the court, the State will be bound to prosecute, not Johnny himself.

All of these cases do double, triple duty or more. Johnny is vindicated, he receives compensation, gains more pieces of the hoax puzzle and triggers a whole slew of side effects and lawsuits. Johnny is not only clearing his name, he is often coming out looking good (eg defending a homeless woman against mean ol’ Rocky).

What we already know of the VA lawsuit regarding texts with Amber’s parents is that there was a financial agreement of some sort (10%) between Amber and her father. Her father and possibly her mother are now legally implicated in the fraud. He/they claim Amber’s lawyers made her file the TRO and fabricate the DV charges. That means her divorce lawyers took part in the commission of the fraud and this should lead to more charges. Will family members turn on each other?

Johnny’s deposition outlines crimes in Australia (perjury, attempting to suborn perjury, DV and biosecurity violations). The biosecurity issues, if reopened can carry serious jail time.

Once this is all aired and documented in the VA trial, the State and Federal authorities will swoop with criminal charges and investigations (as they did with TMG).

And then there’s the ACLU involvement. Their attempt to ingratiate themselves into the VA case for example. That whole connection with Amber goes way back and I doubt they will want those connections looked at too closely.

The ACLU connection will drag in metoo and TimesUp. Then the UN.

The fallout will be ugly and last for years imo.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 am

Thank you, Inquiring Minds. :dillingerhello:

If Amber had only listened to reason like Johnny was trying to do in the second recording released, where he was trying to convince her to settle in private out of the media, none of this would be happening. In soooooo many words he was trying to tell her this would be bad for her. He also said he didn't want to go to court and tarnish her name but she wouldn't listen. She said she wanted to clear her name of being called a liar and gold digger and he told her it was too late for that but again she wouldn't listen. He gave her every chance to settle it peacefully and they both walk away and get on with their lives but she refused. It seems like trying to reason with her is like talking to a brick wall. :banghead2:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 am

Inquiring Minds - I do hope you are right!

As I fret and worry about this (not for a second because I think he's a domestic abuser but just because court cases are fraught with uncertainties and guilty people often get off on technical issues) - it's good to be reminded of all the perjury, lies or inconsistencies. Leave aside the May incident - the letter to Homeland Security claiming her friend wasn't working when JD had a payslip for her; attempts at getting around the law over the dogs; claiming her mother knew about the DV which if true (ie that she told her mother she was being harmed) then her mother's texts are just extraordinary. And of course the "I only hit him once".

All of the above and the many, many more (is there a list somewhere?) surely have to bring in question her credibility as a witness if nothing else!

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:28 am

It is all very impressive, and I admire Johnny and his team for figuring all this out. Poor Johnny, though ... He wants his private life to be private. And just wish to be allowed to practice his art, love people and be loved in return, but instead he has to go trough this ...
I hope, he can stay strong to the end, but I still feel sorry for him.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:48 am

My, oh, my - that was downright magnificent, Inquiring Minds. Thank you so very much.

Can we even imagine what the trials - both London and Virginia - are going to be like?? Everything, really, is going to hinge on the skills of the trial attorneys. Such a tangled web - how to get through it all without omitting some key point...or getting lost in the weeds.

I often think of that careless but critical off point comment by JD’s Gilmore fellow early on that irritated the judge and ultimately opened the floodgates for potentially endless discovery. So much time and money lost... I wonder who will be arguing for Johnny’s side in VA? And then I just hope there will even be a VA when I remember Judge White has yet to rule on the still pending demurrer ...

I am with you, meeps: I admire Johnny more than I can adequately express, I worry about him, and hope he can, indeed, stay strong to see this through, with time left for his life - his art, his music, more films, love, and laughter.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:15 am

I think the pills mentioned in May 2014 text were painkillers and Johnny was messed up but functioning professionally.
In Heard's request for medical records, there is mention of "a dentist prescribed opioids following a dental procedure in 2013 or 2014".
In April 2014, Depp was doing promotion for Transcendence (often with Paul Bettany).
May-July 2014, Depp was filming Black Mass.
May 2014, Heard was filming The Adderal Diaries with James Franco.
August-December 2014, Depp went to his island for what has since be revealed to be a trip to to cure his dependence on painkillers.

Inquiring Minds

Unread post by Inquiring Minds » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks to all for the kind comments :)

AdeleAgain: Of course the big secondary effects of the VA lawsuit will be loss of Aquaman 2 and L'Oreal (and silly of me to forget them). The UN and ACLU speaking engagements would go and her acting roles would disappear. Any of these groups could also sue her for damaging their brands and reputations.

Rumlover - many thanks for the details. I haven't worked up a timeline yet but will have to in order to put everything in order.

Further to the landscape of lawsuits - all the loose ends are being tied up, TMGs lies, Blooms' lies and probably Rocky's lies by then. The drunk lady at the concert. Amber's lies have already been exposed during the divorce, but only now in public. They will be aired and dismissed along with the Sun defamations. But the Sun defamation case is about them trying to (unsuccessfully) show he is a "wife-beater". Some things will come out about Amber, enough at least to prove Johnny's case and damage or destroy her credibility, but I expect the very worst will be saved for the VA lawsuit. Being in the USA it will have the most exposure and Johnny will be required to provide more evidence on a far broader defamation claim - hence far more damaging material on Amber is likely to emerge.

All I am reading on the Sun case is on what The Sun is presenting in court with statements from Depp's side being issued as comments in public. How does the UK system work? Does the defence present their side first then the Prosecution gets a go?

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:01 am

Thank you, Inquiring Minds, for your excellent explanation regarding the lawsuits and answering our questions as this fiasco gets more and more complicated to understand among nonlegal minds (me :blush: ). The informative layout you provided us certainly eases my mind, to say the least. It was especially fascinating to learn how each case will affect the other, not to mention the incredible fallout Amber Heard is bound to experience, (she must be a mess by now) as well as the rest of her family. I wonder if and when her sister Whitney will emerge in all of this. She would have much explaining to do, but I haven't read if she's yet to be deposed or provided a declaration.

Thank you to AdeleAgain, Rumlover and ForeverYoung for your interesting posts as well.
We are fortunate to have members with legal backgrounds and/or sharing thoughtful analysis so that we as a group of Johnny Depp admirers and supporters are continually well informed. It is very much appreciated and respected.

And to meeps, justintime and everyone who have posted their thoughts of support for Johnny, I share them equally.
It's our thoughts that have more power than we can ever imagine, and, as such, the old cliche about positive thinking holds true.
In my opinion, collectively, we as a group, can bring about positive change and knowing that Johnny is aware of just how much we love and support him through thick and thin, is to be celebrated.
Well done to all! :grouphug:
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks a billion from me :love:
Just a (nervous) question: do any of you think Whitney dare tell the truth about her rather scary big sister?
I know one is suppose to under oath and all that. But I am also a cynical old bird, who knows that people don't always do as the law tells them to.

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am

meeps wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 am
Thanks a billion from me :love:
Just a (nervous) question: do any of you think Whitney dare tell the truth about her rather scary big sister?
I know one is suppose to under oath and all that. But I am also a cynical old bird, who knows that people don't always do as the law tells them to.

meeps, I'm pretty sure that if any witness doesn't tell the truth and is found out to have lied, will seriously face perjury charges at best.
Whitney has a young child now and the thought of a mother looking at mandatory jail time should she lie would be reason to tell the truth. It must be very tense between Amber and Whitney now. We're still waiting to see if Whitney will be subpoenaed for a deposition.
That may be one of Adam Waldman's ace cards.
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:23 am

:airkiss2:

Ruby Begonia

Unread post by Ruby Begonia » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Inquiring Minds: : Thanks for your concise and extremely informative post about the "defamation iceberg" Adam Waldman mentioned a while back. Let's hope those events unfurl as described and in as short amount of time as possible for Johnny's emotional, physical and financial well-being.

With all those people and organizations in jeopardy of losing to JD because of their support of or conspiring with Amber Heard, it's no wonder the obvious media prejudice against reporting anything in his favor while putting any hysterical claims against JD on blast.

People magazine would seem to be at risk for publishing those unverified photos of Amber's alleged facial injuries. And there are many other sites and publications such as Refinery 29, the Mary Sue and Samantha Bee who have campaignrd against JD as well as bluecheck twits such as film critic Scott Weinberg who tweeted JD was a wife-beater at a Fantastic Beasts 2 promotional event.

ForeverYoung

Unread post by ForeverYoung » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Her face was also on the front cover of The New York Post (where Page Six also has its column). There is (or was) a connection here with The Sun who was owned by the same person. It's a little confusing but here it is.

From Wikipedia
The New York Post:
In 1976, Rupert Murdoch bought the Post for US$30.5 million.[4] Since 1993, the Post has been owned by News Corporation and its successor, News Corp, which had owned it previously from 1976 to 1988."

From Wikipedia
News Corp:
"The original incarnation of News Corporation (abbreviated News Corp.) was an American multinational mass media corporation operated and owned by media mogul, Rupert Murdoch, headquartered in New York City. Prior to its split in 2013, it was the world's fourth-largest media group in terms of revenue, and News Corporation had become a media powerhouse since its inception, almost dominating the news, television, film and print industries.[3][4][5][6][7]

News Corporation was a publicly traded company listed on NASDAQ. Formerly incorporated in Adelaide, South Australia, the company was re-incorporated under Delaware General Corporation Law after a majority of shareholders approved the move on November 12, 2004. News Corporation was headquartered at 1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, in the newer 1960s–1970s corridor of the Rockefeller Center complex.

On June 28, 2012, after concerns from shareholders in response to its recent scandals and to "unlock even greater long-term shareholder value", founder Rupert Murdoch announced that News Corporation's assets would be split into two publicly traded companies,[8] one oriented towards media, and the other towards publishing. The corporate spin-off formally took place on June 28, 2013; where the present News Corp. was renamed 21st Century Fox and consists primarily of media outlets, while a new News Corp was formed to take on the publishing and Australian broadcasting assets.

Its major holdings at the time of the split were News Limited (a group of newspaper publishers in Murdoch's native Australia), News International (a newspaper publisher in the United Kingdom, whose properties include The Times, The Sun, and the now-defunct News of the World—which was the subject of a phone hacking scandal that led to its closure in July 2011), Dow Jones & Company (an American publisher of financial news outlets, including The Wall Street Journal), the book publisher HarperCollins, and the Fox Entertainment Group (owners of the 20th Century Fox film studio and the Fox Broadcasting Company—one of the United States' major television networks).

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Inquiring Minds wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:11 am
. . . . Some things will come out about Amber, enough at least to prove Johnny's case and damage or destroy her credibility, but I expect the very worst will be saved for the VA lawsuit. Being in the USA it will have the most exposure and Johnny will be required to provide more evidence on a far broader defamation claim - hence far more damaging material on Amber is likely to emerge. . .
Does anyone know if Johnny’s legal team here in the USA includes anyone who might be considered “Schillings-trained”, i.e. a highly successful, respected trial attorney of the attack-dog variety?

I have to wonder if Pat Harris is still on AH’s team as he would appear to fit that mold to a “T”, while bringing a bit of incisive “charm” to Kaplan’s one-note table. He’s been kept in the wings all this while, ostensibly for the “Rocky” fiasco. But with time, dates, and needs so drastically altered, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him turn up on the 23rd, well-prepared and teeth sharpened.

Ruby Begonia: Absolutely agree with your every word - every one of those sanctimonious creeps deserves more condemnation than they’ll ever receive, especially Mr. Weinberg. They’ve all played fast and loose with the “condemn now, verify later” mantra, virtually dehumanizing Johnny in the process. The time has come for the lot of them to choke on their own venom.
Last edited by justintime on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot