The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
RumLover

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by RumLover » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 pm

If there was no incident (on City of Lies) or a minor one, then the crew member would seem to have a valid unfair dismissal case.
If there was an incident, then there needs to be more information about what happened and whether it might be something that sometimes happens on set. Was it correct procedure that a location manager spoke to an actor?
So both sides would seem to need witnesses.
Whether they settle might depend on what is really the aim of whoever is financing this lawsuit. If the aim is to harm the reputation of Depp and/or City of Lies, then going to court could be a success even if the suit complaints are not successful. If the aim is financial compensation for a dismissed crew member, then they could all settle.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, RumLover. Cogent, as always.

Given the timing of the suit (14 months after the alleged incident supposedly occurred and right before the film is due for release) and the apparent lack of any attempt to report an assault incident immediately to authorities considering how much "damage" Johnny supposedly inflicted, I would have to say "the aim of whoever is financing this lawsuit" has already been significantly accomplished, i.e. "to harm the reputation of Depp and/or City of Lies". "Settling" legal matters for Depp these days is tantamount to admitting guilt, would be equated with attempting to coverup all the "horrid things" Johnny did to this weasel, and would dog Johnny and everyone connected with it into the foreseeable future. I have to say I can't even see a lesser of two evils here.

BUT, you've also raised perhaps the most interesting unknown - who is financing this suit, never mind their aim?
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 am

I had another thought about who might finance the location manager lawsuit that does not involve a TMG or anti-Depp conspiracy.
It could be lawyer(s) trying to make a name for themselves on a case that will get some press coverage. If such lawyers read the tweets/reports in the past months, then they might have approached the location manager with a no-cost-unless-we-win proposal.
In that case, I would expect such lawyers to want their day in court just to be seen.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes, who is behind these allegations and attacks?
I don't know and these are just my thoughts.
I think it's a very rich, big and disturbed personality.
Who finances TMG, Amber Heard and this local manager?
Someone who has a great inferiority complex. This guy does not understand that Johnny is loved by so many people.
It's a very lonely person who is not loved by many people.
It is a very distraught person and it' s very strange that he attacks Johnny again and again.
I hope and pray that the American court protects Johnny. I know this is naive , but I wish it so much!!! :namaste:

reindeermoon

Unread post by reindeermoon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:53 pm

It is a lot of money at stake. There are people who would do anything. I hope it will not last too long anymore.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:21 pm

I thought there was some kind of mediation meeting scheduled today, 07-14-18, in preparation for/or to obviate the need for the TMG trial on August 15th, the one that was denied a postponement fairly recently. The big one. As much as I want a resolution to all this, I really have to admit I am worried sick for Johnny, regardless of the outcome.
reindeermoon wrote:It is a lot of money at stake. There are people who would do anything. I hope it will not last too long anymore.
You are absolutely right, reindeermoon.
"Stay low." ~ JD

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:05 pm

This is the judge currently scheduled to serve as the mediator between the parties during the mediation meetings, the first of which was supposed to have taken place today. Sounds like a fair man, very skilled in striking innovative compromises in high profile cases with big bucks in play. Also big on confidentiality, so I don’t expect we’ll hear anything substantive about today’s proceedings (that’s a good thing, to my mind).

Best of luck, Johnny. If the truth prevails, you’ll be just fine. Realistic or not, I’m choosing to think only positive thoughts for the moment!
"Stay low." ~ JD

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:27 am

Of course, only positive thoughts and wishes should be intended for Johnny. I think that we all wish him the best and are with him in thought.
:namaste:

Tara

Unread post by Tara » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 am

Johnny is not worried about the outcome of the TMG lawsuit so no-one else should be either and City of Lies should be renamed Web of lies since that is what Johnny is tangled in right now, not that anyone but his fans and morons takes any notice of it. Most of the general public have no idea this stuff is going on or even care about it.

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 am

Tara you are so right! The majority of people don't know or care - I'm still stunned by how many people I know who will definitely see Crimes of Grindelwald within weeks of it being out - and they are oblivious to the JD controversy.

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 am

So - all the hoopla in the some part of press about the fans being furious at JK Rowling and the movie director and so on because they've kept Johnny in the movie is literally FAKE NEWS :biggrin: ?
Sorry, mates :) Couldn't resist :flirt:

That giggled I feel so sorry for our boy - man :love: He hasn't deserved all this :bawl:

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am

:agreesign: Tara ,Ade and Meeps !!

FANtasticJD

Unread post by FANtasticJD » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:52 pm

The TMG lawsuit has been settled. From Variety:
Johnny Depp Settles Feud With Former Managers
* Gene Maddaus
* July 16, 2018 11:46AM PDT

Johnny Depp has reached a settlement in his legal battle with the Management Group, averting a trial that was set to begin next month.
Depp sued his former managers in January 2017, accusing them spending millions of dollars without his permission. He sought $25 million in damages, including years worth of professional fees. The Management Group, led by Joel and Robert Mandel, filed a countersuit alleging that Depp was responsible for his own financial straits, and documenting millions of dollars of expenditures on wine, luxury homes, household staff, security, and a cannon to blast Hunter Thompson’s ashes.
The two sides had a scheduled mediation over the weekend with Peter Lichtman, a retired judge who serves as an arbitrator.
Depp still has a pending suit against Jake Bloom, his former attorney whom he accused of malpractice

More to come…
“Who wants to be normal when you can be unique?”
Helena Bonham Carter

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks, FANtasticJD - and still, how Johnny spent his money is the media focus, not how TMG spent Johnny’s money . . .

Whatever the settlement is, I sure hope Johnny is at peace with it.
Last edited by justintime on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay low." ~ JD

meeps

Unread post by meeps » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:08 pm

"More to come" .....
What do they think, this is ????? A TV series :yikes: ... "Do tell, dearie" :biggrin: And the sooner the better!