The Lawsuits Thread

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
SnoopyDances

Re: The Lawsuits Thread

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks Shaman Art for the document. I browsed through most of it...but the amount lost vs. the amount asked for is curious.
He is only asking for "at least" $25m in damages, yet the suit alleges a much larger amount in losses, loans, properties, and fees. I wonder why he isn't seeking more in damages? You can ask for any amount you want and might get less, but if you ask for less, you rarely get more.

Also, I find it interesting that he is seeking a trial by jury. I wouldn't think he would want a lot of the details made public and the media circus that would surely follow every sordid moment. Of course, trial by jury is often used as a bargaining tool by lawyers to prompt a quicker settlement without going through court or a trial. I'm sure TMG doesn't want a lot of things detailed in a media circus, either. Maybe the plan here is to prompt a quick settlement without acknowledging any wrongdoing by either party.

And another thought comes to mind...since Amber's team was originally demanding his tax and financial records, that Johnny's team fought to keep private...I wonder if she was trying to further undermine his reputation by making his financial issues public. She had to know that he fired TMG and replace them and was probably aware of his debt issues. And Johnny waiting about a year to file claims against TMG make me think he was trying to settle everthing quietly, but got wind of her blowing the whistle. So by going public first, he appears in control of the situation and takes away whatever advantage she might have had with this information. Or, could be, TMG wouldn't play nicely, so he was forced to file suit. All of TMG's other clients are now probably checking their own books.

These financial issues could be the reason Johnny seemed surprised when asked about the sale of his French property, and subsequent sales of art, assets, and property. I wonder if Johnny was behind the sales or TMG. Or a combination of both.

And all of this could be the reason for his recent movie choices. Typically an A-list star would command a salary up front and a percentage of the box office later. I wonder if he was just doing quick gigs to get a salary up front to cover his debts, hoping for box office money later on (that didn't come) or if he opted out of BO money and demanded salary up front. Maybe Tracey couldn't get the types of deals he was seeking to pay off debts.

A lot of this is just speculation on my part, but it does paint a broader picture of the past few years where things seemed to be spiraling out of control for him. Looks like he is doing his best to regain control. I wish him well.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:16 pm

From deepest heart I wish Johnny the best and we fans can only stand by his side. Our thoughts are with him. That's what we can do for him . :heart4:

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:46 pm

As far as movie choices in regards to this situation, perhaps his decision to get involved in the Fantastic Beasts movies was partially motivated by said situation. Who knows where or if Tracey Jacobs, for example, fits into this puzzle. She did talk him into doing the very pivotal Edward Scissorhands, you can't take that away. On the other hand, every time I've seen her in photograph or video, she looks like someone on the verge of exploding from self induced stress. I don't know if Johnny's parting ways with her has anything to do this whole mess, but I can't think of any other movies he's done since 2012 that would've been partially motivated by these particular money issues. The Lone Ranger was in the works for years. Transcendence never smacked of a blockbuster pay day. Mortdecai was another personal interest movie, though Johnny hinted that he'd have been all for a sequel. Black Mass wasn't something anyone had to talk him into. Pirates 5 has more to do with Disney than Johnny, other than him agreeing to do it. Same with Looking Glass.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean about recent movies Snoopy Dances, but to me the only thing that really stands out as perhaps indicative of money woes is his decision to get in on the ground floor of what promises to be a five movie juggernaut with Beasts.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:57 pm

jruoss wrote:As far as movie choices in regards to this situation, perhaps his decision to get involved in the Fantastic Beasts movies was partially motivated by said situation. Who knows where or if Tracey Jacobs, for example, fits into this puzzle. She did talk him into doing the very pivotal Edward Scissorhands, you can't take that away. On the other hand, every time I've seen her in photograph or video, she looks like someone on the verge of exploding from self induced stress. I don't know if Johnny's parting ways with her has anything to do this whole mess, but I can't think of any other movies he's done since 2012 that would've been partially motivated by these particular money issues. The Lone Ranger was in the works for years. Transcendence never smacked of a blockbuster pay day. Mortdecai was another personal interest movie, though Johnny hinted that he'd have been all for a sequel. Black Mass wasn't something anyone had to talk him into. Pirates 5 has more to do with Disney than Johnny, other than him agreeing to do it. Same with Looking Glass.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean about recent movies Snoopy Dances, but to me the only thing that really stands out as perhaps indicative of money woes is his decision to get in on the ground floor of what promises to be a five movie juggernaut with Beasts.
Just thinking out loud.
The movie choices could very well have been his for his own creative reasons.
But other celebrities in similar situations suddenly start turning out movies/albums/endorsements (perfume/car ads), books, etc., to help settle financial issues. (bankruptcy filings, lawsuits, divorce settlements, firing/suing business managers, etc.)

jruoss

Unread post by jruoss » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Maybe Tracey wanted Johnny to do some of those things you mentioned. Either way, I feel confident that Johnny has a certain level of personal integrity that he will continue to maintain regardless. I don't expect him to come out with some gossipy book or start appearing on D celebrity reality shows any time soon, or any of that other cashing in on image type stuff.
It's incredible to think this guy would ever have to worry about money again. I do hope this starts a chain reaction that brings down TMG.
"There is certainly a part of me that tends to be that loner. You never find me in the center of the crowd. I just like to stay back a little and hang in the shadows."

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I am sure that most of us can't even imagine the kind of finances Johnny's world entails. I am happy if I can pay the electric bill each month when it arrives and have money left for groceries and a little extra for fun. Millions of dollars would be beyond my comprehension, and I am sure it has been that way for Johnny who came from very humble beginnings. What an awful thing to happen, but it seems to happen too frequently. :-/

sparralet

Unread post by sparralet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:13 am

nebraska wrote:What an awful thing to happen, but it seems to happen too frequently. :-/
Poor Johnny, I agree :sad: But it usually is like that, if you're not as greedy as you could be, they're just gonna exploit it. However, I'm sure he's gonna be much more careful in the future... he'll have to be.

shaman-art

Unread post by shaman-art » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 pm

zillow.com lists the castle and one of the other properties as Pre-Foreclosure. :sad:
OCT 26 2016 Home in default $4,287,324 past due The owner of this property has been served a Notice of Default.
JAN 15 2013 Loan issued $5,000,000 A loan was issued by DBA THE MANAGEMENT GROUP on 01/15/13 in the amount of $5,000,000.

Chocolat

Unread post by Chocolat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 pm

This is so upsetting. :-/
~ MAGICK HAPPENS ~
Through the years, for the many xoxo's, giggles & kindness...
thank you & love you Johnny.

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Chocolat wrote:This is so upsetting. :-/
Yes, Chocolat, gut-wrenching actually. Jruoss said it all in a prior post when he commented:

". . . It's incredible to think this guy would ever have to worry about money again.I do hope this starts a chain reaction that brings down TMG." (my highlighting, not jruoss')
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

brunasouzota

Unread post by brunasouzota » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Johnny lost his castle? :ohno: Someone can clarify it to me, please? :hope:
:heart4: Johnny is my life forever. :kiss: :hug2: :twohearts:

Femkim62

Unread post by Femkim62 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 am

Greed and mismanagement is in every sector so it seems. It makes my heart sad, I don't understand why? I'm thinking that a previous post may be right, an overhaul for Johnny is a good thing, to shake off the cobwebs and dust from his life :giveflower:

tocnavforjd

Unread post by tocnavforjd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Brunasouzota wrote
Johnny lost his castle? Someone can clarify it to me, please?
No - this is just a warning that the castle could go into foreclosure. He still has time to make the required payment.
"This is exactly what makes the two sides of your personality. You do not know what you want to be in life, dramatic actor, or crazy person"---J.Depp

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm

tocnavforjd wrote:Brunasouzota wrote
Johnny lost his castle? Someone can clarify it to me, please?
No - this is just a warning that the castle could go into foreclosure. He still has time to make the required payment.
I think the "castle" - JD's primary residence - was going to be foreclosed upon on January 14th, but the filing of the lawsuit at the eleventh hour on the 13th (after the divorce was finalized), may have temporarily stalled TMG's ability to proceed. Timing is everything, eh?
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:23 pm

For those that may not be familiar with a foreclosure process, here is an explanation.
► Show Spoiler
What I think is happening in Johnny's case may be that TMG has used the "castle" as collateral on various loans (now in question), eventually putting the "castle" at risk for foreclosure when loans were not repaid. TMG is claiming that they lent Johnny $5m to pay off defaulted loans and now Johnny "owes" them the $5m, threatening to foreclose on the property if not paid (not sure if a bank is foreclosing or if TMG is forcing a foreclosure). I think Johnny filed the lawsuit to stall the foreclosure and not pay TMG any more money. His team is probably trying to work out payment plans with a bank or re-secure the property from TMG, if they hold a lien on it.
He could also be avoiding a bankruptcy filing, but that may become necessary at some point.

Just my opinion...I could be interpreting things incorrectly.