CITY OF LIES (LAbyrinth) Updates

Discuss the latest Johnny Depp news, his career, past and future projects, and other related issues.
RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 pm

A 4 star review from Richard Wilkins is good.
But I did notice that he said 'it stars Forrest Whitacker as a journalist' and 'Johnny Depp is cast as retired detective' which overlooks that Depp is in the 1997 scenes as active detective and the 2017 scenes as retired detective while Whitacker is only in 2017 scenes.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:01 pm

City of Lies opened number 1 box office in Australia.
$279k is not a big opening. The old guideline was that Australia number is around 10% of USA number.
For covid-time comparison, Tenet opening weekend Australia was $2.49M.
http://numero.co/reports/2020/10/19/cit ... -australia

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 pm

RumLover wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:47 pm
A 4 star review from Richard Wilkins is good.
But I did notice that he said 'it stars Forrest Whitacker as a journalist' and 'Johnny Depp is cast as retired detective' which overlooks that Depp is in the 1997 scenes as active detective and the 2017 scenes as retired detective while Whitacker is only in 2017 scenes.
RumLover wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:01 pm
City of Lies opened number 1 box office in Australia.
$279k is not a big opening. The old guideline was that Australia number is around 10% of USA number.
For covid-time comparison, Tenet opening weekend Australia was $2.49M.
http://numero.co/reports/2020/10/19/cit ... -australia
Thanks, RumLover, for the above info: However, imho, I feel it’s a bit disingenuous for any numbers to be attached to City of Lies as “opening” stats, much less to infer a level playing field by simply using a “Covid-time comparison”. Tenet had a much-heralded initial domestic release on September 3rd, 2020, and held the number one slot for several weeks. City of Lies, a much smaller film by comparison, has been abused, denigrated, and virtually buried since it was pulled in August, 2018, from its originally scheduled US opening back on September 7th, 2018. Since that fiasco, CoL has never been officially or otherwise “released” in the US and we still cannot even get a proper DVD in English in this country, much less a promoted theatrical release. To this day, it has a ZERO Domestic Revenue Total on Box Office Mojo, and International/Worldwide totals (due in large part to the initial and continued support of Italy) of $1,816,900.

On Sunday, July 7th, 2019, smithyn76 posted that CoL would be available for a (very) limited time for viewing on YouTube! Thank you again, smithyn76. I happened to be one of the few lucky folks who saw that info and that is how I, by sheer happenstance, saw this terrific film. Shortly thereafter, it was removed from YouTube amid multiple complex financial/distribution charges (and later the infamous “Rocky” cries of onset misbehavior by JD; resolution still pending) all serving to flatline CoL. I sent in an honest “audience” review to Rotten Tomatoes. There are still no official critic reviews. My only regret is not having the foresight to have recorded it for future viewing.

To my mind, Mr. Wilkins’ review is emblematic of the slick, persistent, anti-Depp sentiments still festering in the social media and MSM crowd eager to latch on to any crumb that may seem worth chewing on a bit to justify the unjustifiable where their years-long, hideously biased coverage of “anything-Johnny Depp” is concerned.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 am

Justintime,
The comparison numbers I used were meant to give an general idea of the size of Australia box office not a like-to-like with particular films. Tenet was intended to represent the maximum amount a film might make in these times not something City of Lies was going to reach.
I thought the youtube copy of City of Lies was a pirate version and it was removed for copyright reasons. I chose not to watch pirated materials.

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am

Once upon a time there was a DVD on ebay, too.

RumLover

Unread post by RumLover » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:42 am

DVD of City of Lies is now available in Australia.
No extras, English subtitles only.
It is region 4 so you will need a multi-region player if you are in another region and buy from an Australian store (jbhifi.com.au is a major one).

SnoopyDances

Unread post by SnoopyDances » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:44 am

US release date. Worldwide news coming soon according to Stephen.

gipsyblues

Unread post by gipsyblues » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 pm

:thankyou: SnoopyDances

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm

Johnny's performance in this movie is understated excellence! I am excited to see it finally getting released and hopeful it will get more and more exposure.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread post by fireflydances » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:42 pm

Definitely looking forward to this one!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:18 pm

Oh I hope it goes onto streaming services in the UK - everything here is shut and it was a joy to be able to watch Waiting for the Barbarians and Crock of Gold, over and over and over and over .......

In fact think I shall retire to bed and watch Barbarians again. xxx

Sweeney Todd

Unread post by Sweeney Todd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:41 am

:sweeneydepp: Never forget. Never forgive. :sweeneydepp:

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:46 am

Some great reviews cannot wait for it to come here. The director just posted this - if the photo of JD in his studio doesn't make your day, no one can help you!

AdeleAgain

Unread post by AdeleAgain » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am

You need to go to the Instagram and click through. It is worth it!

justintime

Unread post by justintime » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Not sure if this belongs here or in the lawsuits thread, or anywhere besides my head:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ilm-review

Hollywood Reporter critic, John DeFore, just couldn’t resist including the following insidious garbage in the opening paragraph of what otherwise passes for a positive review:

“....Originally slated for 2018 release, it was shelved amid co-star Johnny Depp's nascent scandals — and, some hint, pressure from the LAPD. Depp's troubles only grew in the interim, to the point where many moviegoers will now dismiss the film out of hand. But this is a compelling drama with real-world concerns that shouldn't be ignored, and it deserves better than to be the victim of an actor's offscreen sins....”

Reading that trash, realizing the smug, caustic comments even Johnny’s best work will have to weather going forward, just brought me to tears. Angry tears, but tears nonetheless, and a sick, sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Bottom line: Mr. DeFore’s self-indulgent, judgemental throwaway makes crystal clear how much is at stake for Johnny and why he has been so relentless in his quest to have HIS truth deemed THE truth, first, last, and always.
"Stay low." ~ JD
"I don't like it in here . . . it's terribly crowded." ~ Hatter
"There's something about Johnny that breaks your heart." ~ John Logan, ST
"Tear deeper, Mother." ~ Wilmot